Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
sienna
Registered Users

Re: DESPERATE for help...

my dd had an eczema related fussy period too.
we switched to cetaphil wash and cetaphil cream and NOTHING ELSE and it was gone in 24 hours.

btw, hylands did NADA for us.
S

Advertisement

sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
KarenK
Registered Users

Honey, it's okay to put him down for a little bit to take a break. Change his diaper, feed him, lay him somewhere safe with toys and soft music and step away for a few minutes to catch your breath, or take a super quick shower, or call someone for help. You will not damage him psychologically nor is it neglectful to let him cry for a few minutes. You could set up a play yard within view of where you are and talk to him while you clean up dishes- even if he is fussing. Attachment parenting or not, you need to be able to step away for a few minutes. Better to allow him to cry for a short bit than to reach a total breaking point for yourself.

Absolutely look into the potential health issues (teeth, ears, skin condition) and consider the babywearing but it's also not selfish to say, "I need a minute to catch my breath before I lose it." Some might disagree but that's my two bits.

Good luck and hugs to you. I know it's hard to feel so helpless.

Sewing is my therapy.

Last edited by KarenK; 03-07-2007 at 04:14 PM.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Honey, it's okay to put him down for a little bit to take a break. Change his diaper, feed him, lay him somewhere safe with toys and soft music and step away for a few minutes to catch your breath, or take a super quick shower, or call someone for help. You will not damage him psychologically nor is it neglectful to let him cry for a few minutes. You could set up a play yard within view of where you are and talk to him while you clean up dishes- even if he is fussing. Attachment parenting or not, you need to be able to step away for a few minutes. Better to allow him to cry for a short bit than to reach a total breaking point for yourself.

Absolutely look into the potential health issues (teeth, ears, skin condition) and consider the babywearing but it's also not selfish to say, "I need a minute to catch my breath before I lose it." Some might disagree but that's my two bits.

AMEN!
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nakin' but
alelujiah and amen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
reiterin
Registered Users

Quote:

Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xMommy View Post
I think I might get some ibuprofen tonight, see if that helps him...I should have also mentioned, he has eczema REALLY bad, and is probably pretty uncomfortable from that, as well.
just wanted to warn that the packaging for ibuprofen says not to give to infants under 6 months. not sure why or if it really makes much of a difference to give it at 5.5 months instead of 6, but just thought i'd share, just fyi (maybe someone else will know more about this?).

also for eczema, the Aveeno line is all that helps me (i have horrible eczema, had it as a kid and it went away only to come back in my late teens/early twenties.). mine got so bad when i was 19 that it was weepy and bleeding, all over- my face (eyelids even!), neck, shoulders, arms, back, everywhere! Aveeno skin relief was the only thing that helped. now i use unscented everything and use Aveeno lotions on myself and my baby (as a precaution, he hasn't had any eczema yet but i've been super-cautious about using only the gentlest of products because of my own history!). lukewarm baths daily are fine but only use soap every other day, or even every 3 days, and try using a humidifier, especially during the winter with indoor heating, which is super-drying. i'm sure you already know all this but just wanted to give my

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Karri_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would also try taking him to a ped. chiropractor. worked for Natalie -
Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #18
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have time to read the posts so forgive me if this has been said. My DS had bad Eczema and it was caused by a soy allergy. Anytime I'd have even a little bite he reacted (from my Breast milk) Maybe try to see if that could be a cause I know the three main ones that can cause Eczema are Soy, dairy and wheat. My DS was some much more comfortable once we figured that one out. GL
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Quote:

I definitely agree 100%! DD#2 was a high needs baby for a couple months and I just HAD to put her down otherwise I was going to go insane . It's really okay. DD is just as attached to me as ever it didn't hurt her at all. And don't be afraid to ask for help. If you have a family member or friend who can handle a crying baby maybe see if they can come relieve you for a short while so you can take a walk or soak in the bathtub.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #20
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

Gosh, great advice. Check into the ear infection thing and the chiropractor. I agree with the PP about trying a MT. My dd goes through times when she just needs to be held and nothing else (although not for as long as your ds, poor thing) and wearing her in a carrier is the only thing that made it possible to function. I also want to give a huge rave for the teething tabs. I looooove them. So does my baby. She would actually stop crying when I'd get the little bottle out and she'll grab for the tabs from my hand.

I hope you both figure out how to deal with this! I'm also very sorry that your dh is adding to your stress by making you think about the housework you aren't doing. Your ds should come before a clean house! (but I do agree with pp that it's okay to set him down if you really can't take it anymore.)

Good luck, mama.