Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Meals from what you have around the house?

Our food budget is extremely limited this month. I was hoping you ladies had some ideas for meals from the general stuff most people have around the house.

We have very little meat in the freezer. A roast I'm defrosting for tomorrow and some fish and that's about it. Well, there's some popcorn chicken that will be a lunch for the kids.

So I guess I need meatless ideas!! lol

Help!! We need to stretch the food we have until March 12th!!

Advertisement

kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Meals from what you have around the house?

Speghetti is typically pretty quick and easy. Throw a can of tomatoes (diced, whole, whatver), into a blender to make sauce, then you can throw in other vegetables and seasonings, then just put it in a pot to simmer. No need to have meat!

How are you making the roast? If you put it in crockpot, or whatnot, with some water, you can turn the broth from it into the base for a vegetable stew...

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Stefany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE allrecipes.com for these situations. I go there and insert what ingredients I have and it gives me possible recipes.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I wanted to add that typically meat lasts longer if you cook it in something else. Like a pound of hamburger in a casserole dish, would feed more people than that same pound of meat made into hamburgers. Two chicken breasts are what I normally make for my SO and I, but if I shred up the chicken and make chicken tacos, the meat lasts for 2 meals rather than one. So if you are ever needing to stretch meat, put it into something. Stews, casseroles, whatever.

What we did a few weeks back was take a few fillets of tilapia (we get a big bag of frozen fillets from Sams Club), cooked them up, then put them in with egg noodles and alfredo sauce to make something like a tuna helper.

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Speghetti is a favorite fall back meal for us, especially if we're in a hurry.

I'll be making the roast in the crock pot. I've never made stew before, I'll have to give it a try!!

We've been doing a lot of fish lately to cut down on the amount of red meat we eat. I'll have to try that with the talapia (sp). We have Pollock at the moment, but since we had fish twice in the last week, I'm trying to save that for Friday. lol
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've been slammed busy and I haven't had time to run to the store much, but last night was SO good. If you like Indian food, thisis a good one. I don't measure, so everything is approximate. Add more pepper and curry if you like it more spicy.
A handful of split peas, maybe 1/2 c.
Maybe a cup of frozen spinach
Some farmer's cheese--or make from scratch with heated milk and a splash of lemon juice, put in colander with muslin and let sit for an hour
tomatos (one large or 2 romas)
onion, garlic, hot pepper

Saute the onion, pepper and garlic, add the diced tomato. When soft, add about 1/8 tsp. ginger, 1 tsp curry, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp. tumeric, and some garlic powder. Put in the split peas and cover with chicken broth--water would probably be fine. Use about 3 c. or so. When the peas are nice and soft (about 35-45 minutes) add the spinach. When all warmed up, add the cheese, which has been diced up. Serve with rice, and whole wheat tortilla shells if you have them. Very yummy. (to go out and purchase this would be maybe $3 if you make the cheese and tortillas yourself.)
MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
codiaper
Registered Users
seller

Dried beans and rice are super cheap and super easy. All you need is a little time. I have a killer recipe for a cuban black bean soup that you can serve over brown rice for a complete meal. All you need are dried black beans, onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper and garlic plus some spices that you probably have around the house for the soup. It makes a ton and others that I have shared it with have told me that its great on eggs (also cheap). Plus we like to make burritos with the leftovers by serving it in a tortilla (cheap, too!). LMK if interested and I'll give you the recipe.
codiaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

I often make "chili" with a can (or two) of tomatoes, whatever canned beans we have in the cupboard, maybe some canned corn or frozen veggies. I put it on to simmer for a bit, add some spices (usually chili powder and cumin) and serve it with bread or with cornbread if I have the ingredients for that. Alternatively, you could throw some small cooked pasta in the pot while its simmering. I often do that because my kids will eat just about anything with pasta, but won't always eat the chili without the pasta.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pasta, rice, and beans are all cheap, quick meals.
You can make vegetable broth for soup from leftover veggie peelings (I always keep a bag of these in my freezer).
Do you have any frozen vegetables you can add to soup?
If you have any potatoes you can make lots of different meals.
Can you find a way to stretch the roast and chicken.
We have "whatever night" 2-3 times a month were we use up what we have in the fridge and pantry.