Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

My dd is snacking throughout the day all day. She is eating probably every hour or so, but just a snack, not a complete meal (IE shes not emptying my boob). I'm only doing one-sided feedings so I will do the same boob twice to try to get her to empty it to get the hindmilk. So for example, she will eat off the right boob around 1:00 for about 3-5 minutes. Around 2:00 she will be hungry again so I will give her the right boob again, and she will eat for 3-5 minutes again. Then in an hour or so, she will be hungry again, so I will give her the left boob, twice in a row. Is this ok? Is she getting enough? Shes had a couple of foamy poops, which is supposed to be a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which is why I'm doubling up on the boobs to try to make sure she gets it all. Hope all this makes sense...its very rambly to me!!

BTW, she's 10 weeks old.

tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: snacking?

What you are describing is just what we, in this house, do. It's sounding like you're doing a bit of block feeding. We had to start that due to reflux issues as well as oversupply & OALD issues. In the earlier days we had to figure out how long to do the "blocks" for to eliminate the poos like you described and it took blocks of 6 hours! we're at about 4-5 hours now. we'll just stay here

She's a snacker, as you say, and it's okay - assuming her weight gain is fine

This article may be interesting for you
Find your local LLL or IBCLC
"In the end, only kindess matters" Jewel

Last edited by moonphishers; 03-08-2007 at 12:25 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote