Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Working Part Time

We've supplimented for DD (6 mo) since the beginning, because I've always been working but have been able to set my own hours and work around her schedule most of the time. (I'm a real estate agent.) I've tried pumping and I hate it--it hurts and I don't get much milk. Now I'm working on site from 11-5, 5 days a week. That's a long time to be gone, and I can feel my milk supply dwindling, even though I feed her in the morning before I leave and as soon as I get home. What can I do to keep my supply up? I've heard taking Fengugreek, but I just don't know..

Advertisement

MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
lorisock
Registered Users

Re: Working Part Time

Sounds like your pump may not be a great one. I swear by the Medela Pump in Style (as do most of the working women who breastfeed that I know), but I'm sure that there are some other great ones out there, too. A good pump really should not be hurting you! In fact, even though I'm not working this time around, I use mine every night to keep my supply up and I even used it in those early days when I was too sore to face nursing every couple of hours. I used fenugreek with great success to help get my supply going early on, but I don't think there's anything better for maintaining your supply than emptying your breasts every few hours. It's pretty much supply and demand. My best advice is to try renting a better pump (most hospitals have them and good maternity stores rent them, too) and see if that doesn't make a world of difference. If you find one you like you can keep renting it or consider buying one. to you for being willing to keep trying!
lorisock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy one. I've been given a Whisper Wear, and it did nothing. Now, I've been given one by first years (to borrow) that worked great for my friend's sister. I had such high hopes....(sigh.) Looks like this next check will go for diapers and a pump (if only my buyers knew what I spent this commission check on!)
MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA w/ renting to see if it helps before you drop $350 on a PIS.
That said, I work f/t and pump 2x/day, then BF morning, night and thru the night. I hate pumping, too but have dedicated it to myself 100% so I can't quit. FWIW, all of my friends quit BF w/in 2w of returning to work because it's so hard. THe worst is when you're sked. for a mtg. during your lunch and trying to figure that out. Ugh!
I have a hard time w/ let-down using the pump, too. Takes me a good 5-10 minutes of sitting w/ it (like I am now) and I work at the computer so I'm not counting the minutes. Sometimes I have to switch BBs as one or the other may letdown more quickly.
I've found my supply dwindling, too but found the #1 solution (other than pumping/nursing more) is to drink water all the time. It's amazing how that affects it. On Sunday I was running around during DD"s day and hadn't had a drop all day--then I couldn't give her any milk in the afternoon. Drink, drink, drink (and add some flavor to it, if you have a hard time drinking so much milk.) What's tough about that is, as your supply decreases, that desperate thirst does too, so you really have to force it down.
I've also done Fenugreek--had to take 3 capsules every few hrs. to make a diff. and even then it took a week.
I finally discovered that I could make a huge pot of Mother's Milk tea and store it w/ lemon and honey as iced tea--gets it down much more than if I tried to find time to drink a hot cup of tea. That's helped, too.
Aside from the PIS, I'd recommend a bra that holds the horns in it. I'm constantly hunching over so I can balance the milk on my leg and type. Killing my back.
GL!!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree about the Medela Pump in Style. Check eBay too...I bought mine on there for under $100 and then replaced the parts that come in contact with the milk for about $20. I have used Fenugreek with both of my babies with great success. I also agree with the others about drinking as much water as you can stomach. You have to watch your stress too.

I kind of think that pumping is something you learn but there's more to it than just that. With my first son, I pumped exclusively for a couple of months and I always had a freezer full of milk...it was easier for me to pump with him than to nurse. This time around, I'm barely able to pump anything and I've tried all the tricks! I don't know what the problem is but it is frustrating. I will tell you that with my first, he stopped taking a bottle at about a year old so I stopped pumping. I still nursed when we were together but just did nothing during the day when I was at work. It only took a couple of days for my body to get used to that and I had no problems...he nursed until he was about 19 months (when I was 4 months pregnant again) My younger son is almost 8 months now. I'm tempted to just give up on pumping and nurse him when we're together but I hate the thought of dealing with formula even part time (right now he gets one or two bottles of formula here and there but I dread having to do more than that) so I guess I'll stick it out until he's old enough to get through the day without bottles...yippee!

Good luck to you!

Barbara
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote