Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn Hep. vax??

There should be something that you sign when you get admitted (or in your pre-admittance paperwork) for vaccinations. This is mandatory in most (all?) hospitals before any shots are given. If you don't sign it, they can't give shots. So you should double check and make sure you know what it is you are signing, or have your SO do it if you are doing paperwork while in labor!

Advertisement

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
sararenda
Banned
seller

You can decline any vaccinations. You will just have to sign a wavier. I did not allow the hospital to do ANYTHING with ANY of my children. Not even the goo they put into their eyes. We do not immunize and, believe it or not, my children are healthier than ANY of the kids in our church and all my relatives. I believe God has been so faithful to our family and has blessed our decision not to vax.
sararenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
Okay, I havn't had a baby in over 5 years. I dont recall any of my babies haveing a vaccination right after birth. I wasn't "non vaxing" back then. But sure am now. What should I expect? Do I need to make sure *they* know I will not be allowing any vaccinations before I go into labor. I've never heard of this before. Is it even true? Please give me your experiences. Whether you are a vaxing momma or not. Thanks!
I vaxed before and dont know if i do now or not, but yes. Thy will offer the vax in the hospital. Some peds wait until 2 mos for it, but if yours doesnt tell them they will try to give baby the vax in the hospital. My new baby is 15 days old. I kept him with me at all times and caught a little heat for it, but that was too bad and worth it to me to know he wasnt getting ANYTHING with out my knowledge! I would keep your baby with you no matter what and if they absolutely insist they take him to the nursery, go with. They cannot refuse you. It is your baby. Some may get sippity, just ignore it.

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sararenda View Post
You can decline any vaccinations. You will just have to sign a wavier. I did not allow the hospital to do ANYTHING with ANY of my children. Not even the goo they put into their eyes. We do not immunize and, believe it or not, my children are healthier than ANY of the kids in our church and all my relatives. I believe God has been so faithful to our family and has blessed our decision not to vax.
I did not do the eye antibiotics either and whoa did i get the 3rd degree! I did not do it because i do not have and never have had any of the stds listed for that eye meds. Two nurses came in like the bomb squad and made me sign a refusal to follow my drs orders of reccommended treatment. I signed it! How stupid, I should have told them to get out of my room. I guess I felt kind of cornered. But they were telling me that I WOULD be held responsible for the consequenses WHEN my son went blind. I was MAD!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
reiterin
Registered Users

They asked me beforehand if I wanted the Hep B vax and I said "No". they asked me again after the birth and I declined again. They didn't bug me about it.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #16
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Both the dr's that delivered my girls recomended to me NOT to do the hep vax until the 2 month well baby. I waited until 4 months with both of them. Then stopped vaxing completely after dd2's first round. I was planning on "delaying" vaxes, but I've chosen not to do them at all now.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #17
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Make it very clear to everyone you see that you are not giving it. Sierra was vax'd first and then they came to get my consent. Now she is dead.

Some hospitals are very very pushy about it. Just stand firm, even if it means you tell them you will get it at his 1 month appointment (Regardless of your plans)
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #18
ModernMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you check what the laws are in your state regarding vax's. I'm in NJ and there is no problem with declining it. In NY they can give you a really hard time about it. I am also a doula and I attended a birth in NY and the staff threatened to call dyfs and take my client's baby away if they didn't consent to the vax. Be sure to talk to your OB/Midwife and pediatrician BEFORE hand. As a side note, hepB can only be gotten through sex or IV drug use or if the Mom has it. If you've had blood work done you would know if your hepB postitve. I assume your newborn won't be having sex or shooting up for a while so there is no need to worry about hepB.

As a side side note....my DD was vaxed for Pertussis (whooping cough) and ds wasn't and this week they BOTH have it. My ped said that that vax is only 60% effective and it also has the most dangerous side effects...just some things to consider!
ModernMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Oh my goodness, that is awefull! So sorry...

Thanks for everyone's advice and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
Make it very clear to everyone you see that you are not giving it. Sierra was vax'd first and then they came to get my consent. Now she is dead.

Some hospitals are very very pushy about it. Just stand firm, even if it means you tell them you will get it at his 1 month appointment (Regardless of your plans)