Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breast milk leaking? What should I expect? eek.

Thanks for all of the advice. I love the "spraying like a firehose" imagery.
One less thing to fret about or be surprised about if/ when it happens.

Advertisement

DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Gee, I never leaked. Not once, not ever! LOL! My pediatrician, who is also a LC, told me it's not supply that causes leaks- it's the strength of the sphincter muscle in your breasts. Don't know if it's true. . . .

Anyway, I had plenty of milk and was very often engorged. I just never leaked. I also had a very difficult time pumping, even when I was so full! I only ever got milk from the pump during letdown, and never more than about 4 oz at a time.

I liked that I never had to worry about breast pads, leaking, etc. I did not like that I could not pump easily. Don't worry about it too much! Maybe you won't leak at all!
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Doodlebug
Registered Users

I only leak when Charlotte is nursing on the other side, or when letdown happens. But yeah, lots and lots of nursing pads when we go out. When we're at home I don't care, just switch T's. DH has gotten used to me walking around with wet spots now and again.

Bfoster2000 - your DS was able to latch on at night without waking you? How'd you manage that? Charlotte is 5 months old now and we co-sleep... which works well, but I still wake up to latch her on. It sounds awfully nice just to sleep through the process...
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug
Bfoster2000 - your DS was able to latch on at night without waking you? How'd you manage that? Charlotte is 5 months old now and we co-sleep... which works well, but I still wake up to latch her on. It sounds awfully nice just to sleep through the process...
Well, I guess I deserved to have one thing go right for me in the breastfeeding department...Heaven knows I had enough other problems! It took a while before I was able to totally sleep through it. I've always been a heavy sleeper and I was back at work full time when he was 6 weeks old so with everything else going on, maybe I was just so thoroughly exhausted that I *had* to sleep through it. I think it was closer to when he was 8 or 9 months that dh would ask me in the morning how he slept and I'd have to think about it because I really didn't know. Maybe I was waking up and just not remembering? I know frequently I'd wake up and he'd be latched on so I'd unlatch him and roll over, only to wake up a couple of hours later with him attached again. I did sleep topless which helped...easy access. One of the reasons I finally gave up on wearing a bra to bed was that I'd forget to fasten it back when he was done so after the first or second feeding (he's always been a snacker...small amounts FREQUENTLY) both sides were open anyway...just seemed pointless. It just seemed like by the time we both got the hang of nursing laying down and he got a little more mobile, he was able to crawl over, find what he wanted, and not bother me. It was kind of funny when I'd sleep on my stomach though because I'd wake up with him nibbling around my back trying to find a nipple. A couple of times in that semi-sleep, really don't want to be bothered state, I refused to roll over and he'd crawl over to dh and start looking on that side of the bed! It was a little frustrating when I found out I was pregnant again because nursing became so painful. I didn't want to force him to wean, but we had to cut back a little. I thought he was only nursing once or twice a night by then but I started sleeping with a shirt on so that he couldn't sneak up on me in the night and I found out that he was actually doing it a whole lot more...most of the time he wasn't even awake either!

Hang in there...hopefully you'll both get in a rhythm soon where you can get more rest...it really is nice to find that situation that makes BOTH of you happy at night!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

I leaked early on in pregnancy and gushed when audrianna was born I was one of those moms noone wants to hear of who could fill 2 bottles 8oz each in 15-30 minutes and feed dd. and trust me it sucked I couldn't find decent enough breast pads to help and i worked at a grocery store so everytime i heard a baby cry i would just start flooding. and we wore dark green shirts now can you imagine
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #16
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

I leak like crazy always have, I wear a bra and pads 24/7 I would get some sposie pads for the first month and then I switched to cloth I would go through so many in that first month that I couldnt keep up with washing them. now I usually get by one 3-4 sets a day (she is almost 10 mts)
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #17
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

My son is almost 4 months and I haven't had much trouble with leaking except when he goes a lot longer than usual without nursing or I go longer than I should away from him without pumping (I'm a WOHM - full-time now). I do wear pads pretty much all the time during the day just in case (I had a few episodes of being out and about without a pad and soaking through my shirt). I've only gone through a pad one time. I'm not sure what was up with that. I generally only nurse on one side at a time, and usually don't leak on the other side while I nurse. Since ds starting sleeping through the night (and it's been a while - I'm soooo lucky), I pump before I go to bed and I basically never leak at night. I do always wear something on top, again, just in case. I hate the surprise leak.

Just thought I'd offer my experience as a counter-point to many of the pp's, emphasizing the "everyone is different" point.

BTW, these days I only use LANA wool nursing pads and I think they are wonderful. They're huge, but are actually more discreet than the smaller nursing pads and I think they work very well. I often take them off, surprised to see a wet spot inside, because I didn't know that I had leaked at all.

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote