Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VEGANS!!!! Come on in I want to pick your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phridae View Post
Yeah, I could never go vegan. I love eggs and cheese way too much. I dont care much for the soy or rice cheeses, but thats just me.

As far as tofu goes, here's an easy first time recipe.
"Eggless Egg Salad"

Some Extra firm Tofu, drained, chopped into blocks and pressed. (Tofu has a lot of extra water in it. Just put the chunks of tofu on some paper towels, put more papertowels on top of them and then a baking sheet with a few cans of veggies on top. Let it sit like that for 10 minute or so)

Chop the tofu up into pieces sized to your liking.
Add some "Mayo," mustard, tumeric, salt, pepper, onion powder, relish. Mix it up and cover it, put it in the fridge for a little while to let all the flavors marry. Then eat!

I used a mayo substitute called Nayonaise. =)
Even most of the soy/"rice"/"almond"/"veggie" cheeses have casien added (milk protein). It's so annoying. I'm currently vegetarian and only eating humanely sourced milk/cheese/eggs, so I end up being a public vegan. Eating out is... interesting

HAH! I was wondering if Oreos were safe. I knew they had no dairy.

Advertisement

Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
mrshamilton06
Registered Users

My Mood:

We arnt vegan but a few of my friends are and so we often have vegan meals. As a household we dont eat much meat or animal products because affording them is tough. I think being vegan does nto have to be expensive. When choosing a new dietary lifstyle you should accept giving up things that dont fit but the occasional treat of a substitute would be nice. Otherwise you are going to spend an arm and a leg.

Also see if there are make your own alternatives. Parmesan can be made with nutirtional yeast and walnuts for about 90 cents. 7 ounce bottle of 'Parma' costs roughly $7.90. Make your own nut milks for a fraction of the cost.

http://greenandcrunchy.blogspot.com/
a fun vegan high raw blog from a mama with 5 kids all vegan/raw too.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much mamas for keeping this thread alive. LOL I thought it was a lost cause there when nobody replied for a few days. LOL.

I am just vegetarian right now, I do have some vegan books on hold at the library, so I am waiting to find some recipes
Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phridae View Post
I'm not vegan, but my sister is.
Check out I can't believe its Vegan! for a list of foods you would never guess were vegan, like oreos!

Oh heck, I live like 30 minutes from you. Haha. Milwaukee has a variety of vegan resturants, and a whole foods. Walmart tends to carry some soy cheese and stuff in the produce department, but I'd hit up a Woodmans if you can (Oak Creek would probably be closest to you.)

Here's my sister BLOG its called The Thriftiest Vegan. She does a lot of shopping at Whole Foods since she lives in Milwaukee, but she'd probably be more than willing to answer any questions you have.
Thank you for those links!!!!! OMG Oreos are vegan???? Wow. LOL!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
circle_of_life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, you can make really good tofu sour cream with tofu, a little lemon juice, sugar and salt, whiz it up in the blender til it's creamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshamilton06 View Post
We arnt vegan but a few of my friends are and so we often have vegan meals. As a household we dont eat much meat or animal products because affording them is tough. I think being vegan does nto have to be expensive. When choosing a new dietary lifstyle you should accept giving up things that dont fit but the occasional treat of a substitute would be nice. Otherwise you are going to spend an arm and a leg.

Also see if there are make your own alternatives. Parmesan can be made with nutirtional yeast and walnuts for about 90 cents. 7 ounce bottle of 'Parma' costs roughly $7.90. Make your own nut milks for a fraction of the cost.

http://greenandcrunchy.blogspot.com/
a fun vegan high raw blog from a mama with 5 kids all vegan/raw too.
circle_of_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

subbing! I just became Vegan again, yesterday! I was in the past thought, and was a vegitarian for about 18 yrs.

I'll be back with some recipes and thoughts when I don't have 2 toddlers on my lap!