Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
amehrkens
Registered Users
seller

UGH, try to make my own diapers!

So I have never really sewn before and I decided to give it a try and make my own diapers. So I bought some cheap remanents to practice on before I use the real stuff. My plan to to make a OS pocket similar to the knickernappies. I traced my Knickernappie and made a similar pattern. I don't know if I need more practice or maybe I am just not cut out for sewing. It turned out but looks awful! Does anyone have any tips for me! Maybe I will just make a few more practice ones!

Advertisement

amehrkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
CGMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: UGH, try to make my own diapers!

Make a few more practice ones. It takes some time but you will get it and it might surprise you how quickly. Do you have pics? You should post them to the homemade diaper thread, the mamas on there are very knowledgeable.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
CriscoNinja
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm still new to sewing and my first like 4 to 5 diapers looked awful. It just took me some tweaking on my machine for tension, etc and a LOT of practice. I'm getting better but no where near pro. I figure no one is going to criticize my stitching on my poo catchers.

Honestly my top stitching on my first 2 was HORRID... but of course they are still functional and I'll use em, but NOT pretty. lol

I'm better at corners now and judging seam allowance and am 100% better at doing elastic casings... it just took me some time. I also realized I'm NOT good at sewing with jersey t-shirty material. I'm just not ready for stretchy material. lol

I just got some flannel blankets from goodwill/salvation army and got some clearance flannel from walmart to make some fitteds. After I got the hang of that I tackled PUL. When I sew with PUL I have to have the PUL face the feed dogs or it all goes to heck.

I'm starting to feel comfortable sewing and no where near "talented" but I can get it done. I've done 23 fitteds, 5 covers, 2 blankets with overlocked edges, and my next hurdle is fleece longies.

Keep on sewin'! Practice and time really made the difference for me!

Last edited by CriscoNinja; 08-17-2009 at 09:52 PM.
CriscoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seriously, practice makes perfect. IF the pattern you have fits ok, stick with it because there is a slight learning curve with every new pattern you try. Everyone started out with a few less-than-perfect diapers, even the seasoned seamstresses, and the fact that your diaper is even usable as a newbie means tremendous success!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree practice does make perfect. I do have experience sewing, but my first ones aren't that great either. While they did turn out okay, the sizing was way off. They were more for a newborn than a 2-3 month old, lol.

I finally sucked it up and bought the darling diapers pattern. That helped a LOT! Had i known then what I know now, though, I would have gone with a one size like the KCK (which doesn't need snaps. A plus for mama's without that capability). I think there's another one out there that has snaps and looks a little more traditional.

Keep with it, and look up tutorials. They always help a bunch too.

Good Luck!
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Post pics!

No seriously, maybe we can help you troubleshoot.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
nyki82
Registered Users

Buying a real pattern with step by step instructions may make all the difference. The shape you start with will be much more accurate as well. It's HARD to trace a diaper! I would hold off on using any knits as well. They are just not for beginners!

Here are my tips for you:
*Suede cloth is the easiest inner fabric to sew with.
*Sew with the PUL side down.
*Use 100% Poly thread
*Clip or trim all the curves in the seam allowance when you are done sewing the inner and outer together.
*Make your elastic casings plenty big, like 1/2."
*Buy a fantastic pattern, Preferably mine...lol....
nyki82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Im trying to learn on where to start making diapers. i posted in diaper chatter, but that was probably wrong place.