Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
ourfamilyof5
Registered Users
Formerly: jaydenandsethsmommy
seller

My Mood:
Anyone take their sewing machine to a repair place?

My sewing machine is leaving the stitches lumpy & clumpy. I have so many things to sew but I am discouraged at my sewing machine. Sometimes I just want to throw it out the window! My DH took it all apart, oiled it, cleaned it - still having a problem!

Has anyone ever brought their sewing machine to a repair place before? Is it worth is? I am curious how much it will cost me - I was thinking about bringing it there this week.

Just curious.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
kia_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone take their sewing machine to a repair place?

I wanted to throw my old machine out the window too!
I called about repair/servicing it and the shop said $50 or $60 just to look at it.
The machine cost $65 new so I bought a new and BETTER machine.

If you love your machine normally, I'd say fix it ... if it's a good machine.
Sounds like the timing???

I bought a new (floor model) Janome QC 6125 from our local dealer. I love it! Our DS knocked a box onto the foot pedal and had the timing off on it.
I took it back to dealer and they adjusted it for free.
(nice thing about buying local!)

Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
meowsandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The timeing was off on my old machine, so I took it in. $100 later it was working again, for about two weeks, then it was off again. Turns out some machines are just prone to this. I would only take it in if it is a good machine, and not too old.
meowsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
happylittlefamily
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Dumb question, but you changed the needle, right? Sometimes something that simple can cause all the problems! And also make sure the needle is put in correctly. To take it in for basic service, it'll be between $60-75 and that's not including any replacement parts, etc. So, if it's not a great machine, you might want to just replace it or if it's pretty good and made of metal and not plastic, a tune up may be exactly what you need for it to go for a long time
happylittlefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I took my old White in, I paid $35 for it at Goodwill and proceeded to burn up the presser foot, it cost me $121 to get it all fixed. In the meantime I borrowed my friend's $80 Brother from Wal-Mart and fell in love with it after I figured out how to use a cheap plastic machine. (Before that had only used sturdy old metal ones.) I am not using my old White and gave my friend $100 for her machine. So I could have saved myself a LOT of money if I'd have bought one of the Brothers from Wal-Mart rather than getting my old White fixed.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

depend on what the machine is worth...if it is an expensive machine and it isn't broke very often then it's worth it...i paid about $90 to have a machine cleaned and the timing repaired
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
ourfamilyof5
Registered Users
Formerly: jaydenandsethsmommy
seller

My Mood:

The machine was $149.00 at Sears. It's a Kenmore. I will bring it there this weekend to see if they charge just to look at it. If it's not worth it I will just get another machine. I hate to spend the money. My DH told me to sold my current machine - but who is going to buy a machine that's acting up?