Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Babyhawk users: should I take the plunge and get a custom?

I love all the choices, and I want something that has good resale value if it doesn't work. This will be my first MT. I haven't even tried one on, so I'm a little hesitant. I have contacted my local nino group, but haven't gotten to a meeting yet. Here are my questions:

I am petite 5'2" 110 lbs. I have a 26lb 2yo and a 16lb 6mo. Could I carry both of them in a regular?

Do I need a headrest?

Are bh's difficult to learn to use? I'm really excited to try one, but I'm just afraid I won't be able to get it to fit right.

any help? Thanks.

K, mommy to dd 9, dd 7, twinsdd & ds 4, & dd, nearly one!
Earn Amazon & Target gift cards for searching the web! Yes, it's really legit Find out more here!: earn more swagbucks by searching bing:
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
My Mood:
Re: Babyhawk users: should I take the plunge and get a custom?

Get one mama!!

I am 5'5" and a chunky mama, my ds is 5'2" and weighs 115lbs and we use the same BH and it fits us both wonderfully (my ds prefers the BH despite it having hula girls on it ). I do not have a head rest on mine and really wish I did but we still love it. I have the minky back and thats so cozy!!

Super easy to figure out and now my 12 year old son doesn't need my help getting it on. I generally only carry 14lb Lilly in it but I did test it out my carrying my dc child J in it (she's 2 3/4 and weighs 35lbs). They both fit fine and my back didn't hurt either way.

**Thought I would also add that my personal fave MT is by Shanna of Sweet Slings (on HC as well as in the congo Tranquility Bay) but my BH is a very close second.
Dawn, proud mama to Finn (11/23/10), Sully (2), Lilly J (4) Madison (8) and Alex (15). Head over heels in love with my hubby Jim

Last edited by GrowingUpMad; 03-11-2007 at 08:41 PM.
GrowingUpMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I could have written your post just weeks ago.

My answer is YES!

I ordered my custom BH just a couple weeks ago after only trying an Angelpack on one time and now I have 2 Angelpacks and my custom BH on the way.

My babies are 19 mns and 23 lbs and 4 mns and 13 lbs and I carry both in the same MT, Angelpack but basically the same as BH with head rest.

My DD LOVES the MT she is sooo jealous of her little brother when he is in it and begs to be back up when I am carrying her and have to put her down.

I would DEFINATELY get the headrest, it's just so handy if the fall asleep and even when it's folded down it's nice I find for DD to lean her arms on when her arms are out since it's padded.

I cannot wait for my BH I'm so excited. Even DH said it was REALLY pretty I got a Dark Pink straps with Amy Butler Duckegg print and Midnight Blue minkee inside.

It matches my 2 Duck Egg print wet bags and my custom Duck Egg print diaper bag I have coming.

Oh my Angelpack is the SAME Hula girl print the PP has and I LOVE that too, DH likes it too.
Amy CDing, BWing Bfing Mama to Anastasia 08/04/05 Ephraim 11/12/06
Trying to convince DH to have another baby or TWO!
GoddessWifeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

i had one when max was about 6 mos old and while i liked it, i sold it, my kiddos just don't like to be "worn"...they don't like to be strollered....they just like to be held in my arms, or running wild on their own

i did have one that i LOVED though, it had such soft minkey that i wanted to keep it just because, but since it's resale value is great i had to get rid of it!

Kristine mommy to Charlie (6/03) Max (8/05) & Ernie (5.22.2007)

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I hated mine. I mean it was gorgeous, just what I had wanted. But it hurt to wear. And I am not an inexperienced Mei Tai user. I love mei tais. But not babyhawk. To me it just isn't as sturdy or comfortable as a Freehand or kozy. I know lots of mom's love them but if that had been my first Mei Tai I might have given it up altogether. Which would be a shame because we dont' even use a stroller I love to baby wear so much. Luckily I was gifted a Freehand when Tharen was first born so I already knew the Mei Tai love.
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hmmm...well, I'm a custom whore so if I can get it in a custom, I will. If you're trying to save money tho, it'd be just as good to get one off of FSOT.
I have really appreciated the headrest for naps during long days out (DD doesn't sleep in the stroller.)
You can just fold the bottom of the BH under since you're shorter, but I've heard some vertically challenged mamas say the XT straps are too long for them. (I'm 5'6" and they're just fine--they JUST make it for 6'4" DH.)
There are such pretty prints, aren't there? And if you have the option of a carrying bag, I'd get one. I assumed one came w/ mine but it didn't and I'm wishing I had one.
Erika--Cloth Diapering (again!), Extended Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Signing and Delayed/Selective Vaxxing Mama to 7y/o Ramie, 4 y/o Reese and newbie Sebastian
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I love my BH. I'm 5'1" and it fits me great. (it is the regular one). It has padded material on the sholder straps and around the top where the head/neck would be.

I find it very comfortable. Any MT takes a little bit of time to be comfortable using, but I love it. I use it all the time when I'm going shopping if I need to push shopping basket. AT the mall, I'll usually put dd in a stroller and bring the BH with me so if she gets fussy, I can carry her in it. I'm not selling mine anytime soon....
Wife to Aaron, Mama to Ayla (2/2006), Colton (1/2008) and Allana (7/2013)
bluebonnet is offline   Reply With Quote