Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
scubasara385
Registered Users

Cool What is your favorite fabrics for making diapers?

I'm getting ready to order some supplies to make diapers for the first time. (I'll make some practice diaps before I use the good material ) I am a bit overwhelmed and confused about all the fabric choices. My question is, what materials do you like for inners, liners, inserts and outers? I'm planning on making pockets. I would like to use a bamboo or hemp fabric for the liner and the insert but I'm not sure... Help!

Advertisement

scubasara385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
virago222
Registered Users

Re: What is your favorite fabrics for making diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasara385 View Post
I'm getting ready to order some supplies to make diapers for the first time. (I'll make some practice diaps before I use the good material ) I am a bit overwhelmed and confused about all the fabric choices. My question is, what materials do you like for inners, liners, inserts and outers? I'm planning on making pockets. I would like to use a bamboo or hemp fabric for the liner and the insert but I'm not sure... Help!
For inner, I'm finding I like the Malden Mills powerdry better than the microfleece. The microfleece seems inconsistent--I bought about 3 yards of various weights from various suppliers but all are supposedly Malden Mills. Maybe I didn't sew them right side up, although I was told that for MM, either side would work. But now that I've dried the powerdry, I am finding that it stays consistently dryer than the microfleece although it is not as soft and cuddly.

For inserts, I use hemp fleece. I prefer it over the Zorb I've tried, which to me, doesn't hold as much as the hemp. From everything I've read, there is nothing that absorbs as well as hemp. Although the Zorb is much lighter weight. Downside of hemp fleece is that it does tend to retain the stink of urine, something I'm still trying to figure out how best to handle.

For liner between the insert and the outer, I use a layer of wool. Works great to add one more element of waterproofing! I just cut up a old wool blanket. Wool does require separate washing but I bought some lanolin liquid detergent so I just throw the wool into the washer with that. Easy!

And for outer, I prefer Malden Mills DWR windpro or windbloc over PUL. Have yet to try the windbloc but have heard it works well. I don't think PUL is breathable, which is something that would concern me, although I know that PUL is very popular. MM is more expensive than PUL, but in the long run, I don't think that little extra is going to matter much and to me, it's so worth it. I'm not sure how you would wash PUL, but windpro and windbloc you just wash like everything else.

HTH.
virago222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:

PUL is washed in the washer and dryed in the dryer, it was originally made for medical uses and was made to be autoclaved (extremely hot temps).

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Now I have only made a few diapers for my kids- because we bought most ours- but I just figured I would have some fun making them...
I make both AI2s and fitteds for my kids-
For my fitteds- I use an cotton inner, microfiber with one side flannel snap in soaker, and a cute cotton outer.
For my AI2s- I use PUL with flannel or cotton outer (PUL is harder to find in prints) then use either microfiber or cotton for the soaker- and usually add a layer of flannel in there too.

Basically- I didn't want to have to go buy a bunch of expensive material- so you can pretty much use what you have around.
Maybe someone has better ides- but that is my cheap fix hehe.
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
MamaBearTo5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I prefer the microfleece for the inner fabric, cause it's a stay dry material.

Inserts, I use either microfiber (cheap) or french terry and zorb (more expensive) or bamboo fleece (most expensive) depending on what the goal is.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
MamaBearTo5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and either 2 layers of regular fleece, single layer of antipill fleece or PUL for the outers.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
kia_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For pockets: I like a outside of PUL for day use and MM Windpro for Nap and Night. Insides I like suede cloth, it's easy to find and very dry to touch.
But I have also used MM microfleece and microchamois, all work well. You should try a few and find your favorites.

For pocket inserts: Microfiber.

For fitted: I like cotton woven or knit outside. flannel is great too.
All are easy to find. For the hidden layer and internal Doubler, I use cotton french terry or terry. But you can use what you have laying around the house. terry/flannel. And I like cotton velour or bamboo velour for the insides.