Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
lsjukb
Registered Users
seller

Re: do you think To Kill A Mockingbird is age appropriate for a 10 yo?

TKAM is my favorite book as well, and I read it when I was about that age, so I think it's OK. However, I also distinctly remember asking my dad what "fornicating" means - so I would talk it over with the parents first. The book will most likely result in some parent-child conversations, so best to make sure the parents are up for it.

Advertisement

lsjukb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I seem to remember that being HS reading material... Personally, most the folks I know would prefer the book and movie to wait until their children are older. I'd ask the mom/dad just to be sure though.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
lilerthquakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

It really just depends. I would definitely talk to the mom because a lot of it will depend on how comfortable SHE feels about it.

I can remember being ten. I can remember reading The Secret Garden and then, when no one was looking, grabbing my older by 12 years sister's copy of VC Andrew's Dawn which definitely had a rape scene in it (though I didn't understand it). A book I read about a year or so before, The Girl, had a near rape scene. I read my first adult book at 9, Donor, during a trip home from Chicago. At 12, I read Jane Erye which was pretty heavy reading.

Looking back, I realize that some of those books shaped how I felt about certain things and I don't know if I want my daughter to read a lot of the things I read at such an early age. I KNOW DH won't and I will probably trim down my own book collection so that DD doesn't find a read books that will corrupt her mind at an early age (especially since I enjoy JD Robb's In Death series). I'm not stupid, I snuck book so I have no doubt if DD ends up being as much of a reader as I was, she probably will too because I was definitely the type to read whatever books I could get my hands on which lead to reading some INTERESTING books (The Sensuous Woman for one!) at some fairly early ages.

I'm trying to remember when we read that book, maybe middle school? It's been awhile. So many decisions to make when it comes to books.

So, definitely talk to the mom, I think that's the person to make the choice ultimately.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote