Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Mikaela
Registered Users
seller

Potty Learning?

My almost 3 year old DS is VERRRRY reluctant to PL. and it is beginning to really frustrate me. some days are better than others but for the most part he is just not interested. We are going on a cruise in Dec. and I would really like to be done with diapers by then. I feel like I have tried everything from being naked all day to bribery. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

Advertisement

Mikaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Learning?

Try the Potty Learning forum -- it is a sub-forum under EC-Elimination Communication in the Your Family section.

My first thought is that he might not be ready yet...I know that is hard, but some children just aren't ready to PL at that age. Naked learning was what worked for Micah, but when we started, I only did an hour or so at a time. As he started being more successful, I increased the time. If he feels like there is too much pressure, he may start treating it like a power struggle -- and like eating, this is one power struggle that he WILL win. I think that is what makes PLing so difficult is that the child has to choose to comply; it can't be forced.

Good luck! :Hug
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't have any suggestions for you. Only to say your not alone. My older Nephew will be 4 in Jan and my sister has been trying off and on since he was 16mos to get him Potty Trained (hoped he'd be out of diapers before his brother was born). 16mos was too young to try. For some it's a really quick process and others it's a slow process. We couldn't make my Nephew interested in Potty Learning no matter what we did. Could get him to sit on the potty but couldn't make him go or finish only to soak his underwear 30secs after using the potty.

Now at almost 4yrs old we're have a lot of success of him wanting to Potty Learn he's finally gotten to where he's interested. He's been going to the Potty frequently everyday for over a week very few accidents. Still in Pull ups for nap and bed time.

Try not to get Frustrated be patient it'll happen don't know if it'll happen before Dec or not but it'll happen. It'll happen when he's ready. And remember your not alone. Diapers or not I'm sure your Cruise'll be a lot of fun.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My son didn't potty train until he was about 3 1/2, but he trained very, very quickly. If you can keep yourself from getting frustrated, just wait until he's ready and it'll most likely go much faster and easier than if you push at all. I can totally understand about wanting to be done with diapers. We moved across country (Michigan to Alaska) right when my son was turning 3 and it would've been so nice to have not had to worry about diapers.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
My son didn't potty train until he was about 3 1/2, but he trained very, very quickly. If you can keep yourself from getting frustrated, just wait until he's ready and it'll most likely go much faster and easier than if you push at all. I can totally understand about wanting to be done with diapers. We moved across country (Michigan to Alaska) right when my son was turning 3 and it would've been so nice to have not had to worry about diapers.
Same with my son
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Mikaela
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
Try the Potty Learning forum -- it is a sub-forum under EC-Elimination Communication in the Your Family section.

My first thought is that he might not be ready yet...I know that is hard, but some children just aren't ready to PL at that age. Naked learning was what worked for Micah, but when we started, I only did an hour or so at a time. As he started being more successful, I increased the time. If he feels like there is too much pressure, he may start treating it like a power struggle -- and like eating, this is one power struggle that he WILL win. I think that is what makes PLing so difficult is that the child has to choose to comply; it can't be forced.

Good luck! :Hug
Thanks for the advice! I'll try that forum too
Mikaela is offline   Reply With Quote