Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any DRS or Nurses? 2 year old with chicken pox now has ear infection

Our 2 year old who is recovering from the chicken pox (and I think pretty much over them; everything is scabbed over and I don't see any new ones developing), now has an ear infection. I am sure it is infected because of how much he is crying and complaining that his ear hurts. We also have a lighted scope that we use to look in ears and it is definitely red... so anyway, I'm taking him to the pediatrician tomorrow.

I've read that there can be complications with giving antibiotics while you have the chicken pox. Unfortunately I'm not seeing many details: why there can be complications, what the complications are, etc., etc.

Does anyone know more about this?

Do you think it would be safe since he seems to be over the chicken pox (and had a mild case)?

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any DRS or Nurses? 2 year old with chicken pox now has ear infection

I'm a nurse and I've never heard of any correlation between antibiotics and chicken pox with regards to complications.

I believe ear infections should be treated in children so I would do the antibiotics, especially since he is over the worst of the chicken pox anyway.

I would call a pharmacist and ask. Pharmacists are wonderful sources of info with regards to drug interactions, usually better than doctors.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smapple View Post
Our 2 year old who is recovering from the chicken pox (and I think pretty much over them; everything is scabbed over and I don't see any new ones developing), now has an ear infection. I am sure it is infected because of how much he is crying and complaining that his ear hurts. We also have a lighted scope that we use to look in ears and it is definitely red... so anyway, I'm taking him to the pediatrician tomorrow.

I've read that there can be complications with giving antibiotics while you have the chicken pox. Unfortunately I'm not seeing many details: why there can be complications, what the complications are, etc., etc.

Does anyone know more about this?

Do you think it would be safe since he seems to be over the chicken pox (and had a mild case)?
Well, the AAP now recommends a "wait and see" approach w/ ear infections for kids 2 and older. They might recommend comfort measures only (e.g. Tylenol, Motrin for discomfort) and then have you bring dc back in for a re-check in 2-3 days. They also usually have you fill a scrip for an abx, to use in case dc spikes a fever or appears radically worse. I have never used abx w/ my kids EIs (Gavin has had 2 and Claire has had one double - when she was 9 months old) and both slept fine (w/ Tylenol) and the EI went away in a couple of days. I also used Similasan homeopathic ear oil to help w/ the discomfort and also breastmilk. In my (then) 3 year old, that seemed to work almost immediately, with no further symptoms in the morning.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know doctors like to wait before using antibiotics for ear infections, but our son is absolutely miserable. He is waking in the night crying about his ear hurting, and this with giving him Motrin before bed. He has been throwing violent tantrums because his ear hurts.

I'm one that is not in favor of antibiotics, but I'm also not in favor of leaving my kid to suffer, and he's been suffering for a week and we didn't realize until now that he actually has an ear infection. We thought he probably just had some chicken pox in his ear that were bothering him (though we probably should have known better since he wasn't complaining of any of his other pox).

His fever has been 102.5 to 103 if he is not continually on Tylenol or Motrin.

We do have some garlic ear oil which we just tried this evening, so we'll see how he does and try to give him that again before bed.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you are thinking of aspirin and chicken pox? Children that take aspirin with the chicken pox can develop Reye's Syndrome.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, I'm not just thinking of aspirin... I read on the internet today that there can be complications with chicken pox and antibiotics... but it didn't go into much detail..
Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure about your ? re: antibioctics and chx px, but I've got lots of advice, or rather lessons learned from EI's.

DD has had several, and all were treated w/several rounds of antibiotics until about a month ago when I got fed up w/her being on so much medicine, and the infection not going away, and the dr. not doing anything, but perscribe more meds. Which means that the infections were going away with time, and not from the meds!

I looked into taking her to a chiropractor, and it w/a combination of diet change, lazer treatment and herbal remedies has helped tremendiously. She is getting over an EI right now, and has not had any meds had a fever and it's on it's way out the door after less than a week! We have been putting fresh lemon juice and garlic oil (get from health food store) in her ears - they help to kill the bacteria, and ease the pain - although they're irritating for a little bit. After the fever was gone I gave her motrin for pain, but did let her fever do what God intended for it to do.

I hope your lo is better soon! I wonder if/when we will get the chx px??
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
o3b
Registered Users

No aspirin - and I would stay away from the Motrin for now too. Just use the Tylenol. Heating pad or ice may help.

Probably needs antibiotics, and your doctor should agree given the syptoms you describe and the red ear.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote