Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #101
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:
Re: That SUPER-NANNY Episode is on now!!

Well that and the fact that they ASKED her for help!!! It wasn't that they were picked out a luck of the draw. They would have had to write her and email her to ask for help.
So they most likely saw this as a chance for help - not to have their parenting style shot down.
The only thing I did not like about this episode is when she said to them "Did you see where you have gone wrong..." I've taken a many of parenting classes, and you NEVER say to a parent "you have gone wrong"...

Advertisement

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #102
davechan2003
Registered Users
seller

I have only seen the show a couple of times, but had to watch when I saw all the posts about it.

I thought it was a good episode. SN was NOT telling her she was bad to bf her 14 mo, and the mom said she had been wanting to stop. She just helped her. It seems like it was a bit abrupt, but you can't see the whole story in only an hour.

eta Alex bf til 27 months, and Anna still bf's at 14 months, just so you know where I'm coming from )

Last edited by davechan2003; 03-12-2007 at 10:59 PM.
davechan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #103
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've only seen this show twice now............. what I want to know is what on God's Green Earth is the point of weaning to a bottle? I mean weaning is one thing- but at 14 months weaning ONTO a bottle?!? Why? If she wants to force wean fine, whatever, her choice, but at 14 months wean to a sippy cup not a bottle. If your child is USED to bottles at 14 months & they are not ready to stop that's one thing- but substituting (when the child is used to being BF'd) is different IMO.
And yeah to what PP said about abrupt weaning AND changing sleep pattern all at the same time- she went from AP kiddo to, well, forcefully independent. I am not one that 'oh-so-loves' nursing and really wish my first were ready to wean earlier, but he didn't until 18 months and only then cause I was pg. It is great that she nursed for 14 months but man oh man is that a lot to shovel onto that lil girl's shouders all at once! If things changed like that for me, even as an adult, if all-of-a-sudden I didn't receive the same food I was used to and had to abruptly change my sleeping pattern I would experience culture-shock and perhaps bitterness.

PS Any mom that would hit her kids with a broom isn't getting any kind of praise for anything from me... I totally think that's ridiculous and goes beyond even spanking... smacking, hitting, sad, sad, sad.

Last edited by kochanyk; 03-13-2007 at 12:52 AM.
kochanyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #104
bean3
Registered Users
seller

"PS Any mom that would hit her kids with a broom isn't getting any kind of praise for anything from me... I totally think that's ridiculous and goes beyond even spanking... smacking, hitting, sad, sad, sad."

Some parents just do not have the coping mechanisms built in that others do. My neighbor is a yeller...wow, she is a yeller. She has challenging kids, but they are not a problem when they are at my house because they know the rules, the rules are consistent, and they are being engaged and interacted with.

As for my neighbor, I think yelling to get their attention worked (at some point), and now it is the norm. She is not able to see far enough into the future to realize that there are other ways. (anything I have suggested in casual conversation is dismissed just as quickly) To make it worse, she is a screamer only when she thinks no one is looking. When there is another adult present, she is saccharine sweet to them....yuck.

The kids now push her buttons, a lot, and she responds with screaming (and the kids are very good at pushing her buttons). It becomes this very strange dynamic. Yes, it is sad, but I honestly think either she didn't think kids would be this challenging OR no one ever showed her a better way.

I adopted the policy a long time ago that kids are SUPPOSED to act up at certain stages; it is part of the adventure for them. We, as parents, are SUPPOSED to reinforce the rules when they do this. I've just developed ways other than hitting and yelling to do that.

When I see this type of stuff, I really wonder what they were taught growing up and if they have no support system in place at all that will teach them the tricks we use every day to avoid such negative interaction.

Part of the problem *could* be that she was never taught to avoid the escalation in the first place. Defuse the situation before it gets out of hand. People need praise for the things they are doing right and need to be firmly told when they have crossed the line and shown something to replace that behavior with. Isn't that what we do for our kids? No, I don't condone hitting kids with a broom, I just wonder WHY she is doing. Usually the why is incredibly important.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #105
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochanyk View Post
I've only seen this show twice now............. what I want to know is what on God's Green Earth is the point of weaning to a bottle? I mean weaning is one thing- but at 14 months weaning ONTO a bottle?!? Why? If she wants to force wean fine, whatever, her choice, but at 14 months wean to a sippy cup not a bottle. If your child is USED to bottles at 14 months & they are not ready to stop that's one thing- but substituting (when the child is used to being BF'd) is different IMO.
My son self weaned at 13 months and REFUSED the cup with milk and uses bottles for milk, which is fine by me....his choice. I think Its an easier transition for them, And this little one is being forced to stop BFing so Im guessing that it will be easier on her to go to a bottle, soften the blow.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #106
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
My son self weaned at 13 months and REFUSED the cup with milk and uses bottles for milk, which is fine by me....his choice. I think Its an easier transition for them, And this little one is being forced to stop BFing so Im guessing that it will be easier on her to go to a bottle, soften the blow.

Ahhhh, I ask b/c my first had a REALLY hard time learning a bottle- but really easy learning to drink from a cup. My 2nd will have his first bottle today and I'm nervous! My stopped gaining weight for a month when I went to work b/c he couldn't get the hang of using a bottle.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #107
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am still bfing at 20 months & co-sleeping

I found it interesting for those wanting to wean or stop co-sleeping.I would have loved to see her introduce a mia tei for back carry/nursing so mom could function while bfing...or showing mom distraction technics to encourage self weaning.But SN's ways worked for "that family".
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote