Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
jenna0913
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How many lbs of meat is there in a quarter of a cow

Ok not sure if this is in the right place. But for the people that have bought grassfed beef. How much was it? And how much did you get? Thank for all the help.

Advertisement

jenna0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
MeganBeth
Registered Users
Formerly: Xanders Mommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many lbs of meat is there in a quarter of a cow

My friend just sent me an email about this from a local farmer here is the info they sent along:

Selling whole, halves and quarters at $2.85 per lb, including Cut & Wrap (Hanging Weight)
We have a small ranch where we raise a modest number of animals, gently with no stress or abuse. ALL of our animals are born and raised on our place. We know each animalís history and know how they have been managed.

For healthy grass finished beef, we raise and graze the beef on our own ranch, so you can be assured that you are getting beef that has no added hormones or steroids, no antibiotics, or no preservatives of any kind. Animals are 100% Grass-fed, lean & healthy. Try us for tenderness and flavor that you will not find in any grocery store!!
1/4 of a cow is a pprox 80-100 lbs, so between $225 and $275 per 1/4. Last time I ordered I bought 1/4 of a cow (85 1lb ground beef pkgs) and it lasted me a year (eating 2lbs per week). If you only want 1/8 of a cow, two families can split a 1/4, but you have to arrange that between yourselves, the minimum purchase is 1/4.

Meg, Wife to Ray 09-07-07. Mama to X 01-19-07 & L 12-12-09
Three Men and A Mommy-Now with Giveaways!
What's UP Top Hats and More!

MeganBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Mom2frick&frack
Registered Users

My Mood:

We usually pay between $350-$375 for our quarters. That includes all the processing and packaging. I can't really remember how many pounds we get though. We eat a lot of beef and a 1/4 cow usually lasts us about 9 months. We get about 40 to 50 lbs of ground meat, lots of roasts and a good amount of steaks. I also get all the soup bones too. We've had different kinds of cows all fed differently and all were really good. We just hit the bottom of the barrel on the one in the freezer and have to get another.

What part of Michigan are you from? I was born and raised there.
Mom2frick&frack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
alisha_roseleip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is going to be a price difference too based on if the cow is grass or grain fed. I greatly prefer the taste of grain finished beef and am willing to pay the difference for it
It is not out of meanness or rudeness but it is not yours unless you ask for paypal address or you ask me to hold it for you because we are working on a deal. Asking for more pics does not mean we are in the middle of a deal
alisha_roseleip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
velcromom
Registered Users

Those are some great prices. It can be a lot more out here. Worth it, though!
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

My parents raise grass-fed beef. They charge in the neighborhood of $2.25 - 2.50 per pound, based on hanging weight (the weight of the steer before cutting and wrapping). The amount you get depends on how big the animal was. Generally, a 1/2 is about 150-200 lbs. Again, that is really dependent on how big the animal was, how much fat needs to be trimmed (usually not much in a grass-fed steer), etc.

Our family of six gets a half every fall. It lasts us just about one year.
dressagemom is online now   Reply With Quote