View Poll Results: Have you heard of /or experienced VCI (velamentous cord insertion)??
No, what is that?!?!? 29 58.00%
Yes, I have heard of it, but never had it nor has anybody I know had it. 8 16.00%
Yes, I had a VCI during 1 pregnancy. 9 18.00%
Yes, I had a VCI w/more than 1 pregnancy. 0 0%
Yes, a friend or family member has had a VCI during 1 pregnancy. 3 6.00%
Yes, a friend or family member has had a VCI during more than 1 pregnancy. 0 0%
Other, because it seems we always need an other! LOL 2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #21
Entergently
Registered Users

Re: Velamentous Cord Insertion (VCI)... Have you heard of it??

Rixa talks about this on her blog Stand and Deliver. Her first had the VCI and her 2nd, though he didn't have a VCI his placenta was 'abnormal' in that his cord attached at the edge instead of the middle (there is a name for it, though I can't recall right now). I found it interesting. They were both homebirths. She also has an interesting post about VCI and placenta abnormalities. Here is a link to the 3 posts she has about it http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/search/...rd%20insertion

Advertisement

Entergently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #22
starstruck444
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a severe VCI (cord attached @ the side of the placenta and all vessels were exposed at the attachment site) With DD # 2. She was stillborn @ 38 weeks weighing only 5 pounds. I have 8-9 pound babies. The best guess is that when she dropped into the birth canal the tiny thread of cord that was still holding on was torn. Caused a placental abruption and massive infection. I didn't have this cord problem with my next 2 pregnancies (although I had a prolapsed cord with my 3rd) and was told it was very rare. I was supposed to have a homebirth In my case if It was diagnosed I would have had a c-section and I would have an almost 4 year old daughter.

Last edited by starstruck444; 08-18-2009 at 03:16 AM.
starstruck444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #23
Giselle
Registered Users

My Mood:

I voted "other". I'm an RN and I used to work in NICU. We had one patient once who was born premature and was really tiny. She went home okay though. The NICU docs said it was really rare. I remember only one or two of them had seen one before.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SazBaby View Post
I don't know that we'd have been able to do anything differently to affect the outcome if we had known in advance, but I'm sure it would have caused a lot of stress and anxiety ahead of time instead of having a positive attitude and a good natural birth experience! I would have *died* if they told me I had to have an epi... Although I certainly didn't want to risk dd's life over it!...
I would imagine it would have created so much more stress!! And interventions when a VCI is present, pose the greatest risks, as opposed to a natural, low intervention birth... I am sure there are exceptions to that, but overall, low intervention is the key .
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entergently View Post
Rixa talks about this on her blog Stand and Deliver. Her first had the VCI and her 2nd, though he didn't have a VCI his placenta was 'abnormal' in that his cord attached at the edge instead of the middle (there is a name for it, though I can't recall right now). I found it interesting. They were both homebirths. She also has an interesting post about VCI and placenta abnormalities. Here is a link to the 3 posts she has about it http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/search/...rd%20insertion
Thank you so much for sharing that!! All I can say is !!! GM grops are HORRIBLE!!! WHEN will we wake up?!?!? And THEY are APPROVED by the very Big Gov who wants into our living rooms & bedrooms... ugh, NO THANKS!!! AGAIN, THAT is what we are afraid of... they can be swayed by clout & $$$ to approve all kinds of GARBAGE... what is to stop them from trying to take our kids away & giving them to someone more "qualified"??? Will we wake up before our country goes all the way down, or when we hit rock bottom & are in our own Iron Curtain?!?!?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck444 View Post
I had a severe VCI (cord attached @ the side of the placenta and all vessels were exposed at the attachment site) With DD # 2. She was stillborn @ 38 weeks weighing only 5 pounds. I have 8-9 pound babies. The best guess is that when she dropped into the birth canal the tiny thread of cord that was still holding on was torn. Caused a placental abruption and massive infection. I didn't have this cord problem with my next 2 pregnancies (although I had a prolapsed cord with my 3rd) and was told it was very rare. I was supposed to have a homebirth In my case if It was diagnosed I would have had a c-section and I would have an almost 4 year old daughter.
Oh mama, I am so very sorry for your loss!!!

There will always be the case where intervention would have been for the better... I am sure the "what if" will always been in your mind!! I certainly don't want to minimize anything or make you feel worse... for the sake of trying to help relieve some of your pain (as if that is even possible), as others have posted it is so hard to detect before birth, even with ultrasound... and even having c-section would not have been risk free because the cord could have been cut when doing the incision for the c-section.... what an awful thing, mama!! I am so sorry!!!

I am so glad you have had other safe deliveries... I can't even imagine having a prolapsed cord... that would have to be so scary... I feared that very much... not knowing anything about having a VCI at the time, I assumed the prolapsed cord was my biggest fear... not that I would rather have either or that either are better to have than the other as they both have huge risks.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
AZDesertRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm an L&D nurse at a relatively busy hospital so I have seen several. If they know about it before hand, most OBs recommend a C/S. Even if the cord were to somehow "get cut" during a C/S, the doctors are immediately clamping the cord anyway, so any blood loss would likely be insignificant.

I've seen several that weren't noticed until after delivery that did deliver vaginally without a problem. The doctors kept showing the placenta to everybody afterwards.

If I did know I had one, I would probably opt for a C/S depending on how severe it was- or at the very least a hospital delivery with the baby continuously monitored in case it did start bleeding and I needed an emergency C/S fast.

I'm all for a natural delivery with normal pregnancies, but this is something I don't think I'd take a chance with.

I think since our hospital does a good amount of high risk patients our US techs might be better at spotting it?? But it really depends how everything is positioned, sometimes they can't tell.

starstruck444- I'm so sorry for your loss.
AZDesertRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #28
nw mummy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was diagnosed with it with my third pregnancy. the only reason i was diagnosed was because i was having my ultrasounds at maternal fetal medicine and they use a higher resolution scan and they caught it. it was described to me as a fan shaped, in my case my uc connected at two points to my placenta. i wasn't allowed to lift anything heavy, do anything vigorous etc. (all while in the middle of a move). i have to say i felt like i was walking on egg shells from 17 weeks on.

from what i understand, both how it is connected and where the placenta are make the most impact on it. the information available on the web is sparse and does nothing to reassure you. from talking to my mfm doctors they said they are seeing it more and more, not as a result in an increase of occurrence, but because the imaging technology is getting better and better so it is being caught more often.

in the end for me it did not cause a problem during l&d. i was told it was because my placenta was very low and in the back of the uterus which lessened the risk of detachment. my ds was the smallest bw of my three kids but has quickly made up for it.
nw mummy is offline   Reply With Quote