Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
jnno
Registered Users

Re: Your experiences with being GBS+

I've been + with both pregnancies. First was an induction followed by a 12 hour labor, so ample time for the 2 bags of antibiotics, 4 hours apart.

Second birth, I labored at home for 20 hours before heading to the hospital. I'd never been in labor naturally, so kept doubting it was actually the real thing. I was only there for an hour before he was born. They only had time for 1 bag of antibiotics (and the nursing staff took the time to lecture me about this between contractions. That was nice.). Anyway, they did some sort of blood test on him to check for problems. He's aok so far.

I would not intentionally NOT get the antibiotics, as the potential complications are much too serious for me to fool around with, no matter how infrequently they occur.

Advertisement

jnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
happyhappyjoyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was + for my first 2, but not my 3rd

1st was in a hospital....didn't know that they wanted me to receive two full doses of Antibiotics four hours apart before birth and spent 75% of the labor at home. had one round, water was only broken for 3 hours before birth, all was fine (except the hospital experience in general, blah)

2nd time in a birth center....the midwives didn't sweat over it unless your water was broken for over 18 hours, showed up at 4:30, had one round of antibiotics, baby born shortly before 7:00, water broke 10 min. before birth while pushing. all was fine

3rd time i was negative, woohoo

1st and 2nd time i had heplocks and received no other fluids other than 1 round of antibiotics. ina may has a great chapter about it in her book. if you are past 37 weeks and your water has not been broken for more than 18 hours, there is not a big risk. i'm surprised your midwives would want you there for 5 hrs before, especially if your water hasn't broken
and our first baby in 5 years coming soon!
happyhappyjoyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
eliz244
Registered Users

i was + with my first (2 weeks ago).

I was in labor for 2 hours before my water broke so when it broke we had to go to the hospital(dr's orders). I had a heplock and only one round of antibiotics. DD was born 1 hour and 45 min after we got to the hospital. I wonder if the antibiotics really even started working?

anyway she is totally fine and we left the hospital 16hrs after delivery!

I started taking grapefruit seed extract 2 days before the test next time i will start sooner and try the garlic!
eliz244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
ixadorexpink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, you have to be hooked on the IV 5 hours before and they won't let you get up or anything. I just remember getting up once during the whole labor...so not fun.
ixadorexpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
sistermama
Registered Users
seller

DD1-
Tested positive. Planned home delivery, hospital induction at 15 days post EDD, IV antibiotics x 4 doses. Delivered bouncing baby girl at 17 days post EDD by c/s. We had thrush (her mouth, my nipples).
DD2-
Chose not to be tested. Homebirth. We're all just playing the numbers all the time anyway. I knew I would likely test positive again. I knew that I wouldn't do the antibiotics anyway. I knew that if I was transferred to the hospital I would "have" to get them. I knew that 30% of women are infected at any given time. I knew that only a small number of babies get the infection. 70% of the babies who are infected are preterm, but the other 30% are term. I knew I would have a big strong baby. I knew that some of the babies who get sick die. I knew that lots of factors play in: the size of the baby, the overall health of the mother, the length of time that the membranes are ruptured... My midwife left it up to me. It was a hard decision, but what really swung me was the fact that some newer studies are showing drug resistant strains of other blood infections in babies whose mothers received abx in labor. I hope that your midwife is open to different treatment protocols. You should be able to sign waivers...
Good luck.
Hibiclense is a vaginal wash. It is the European standard of care when treating GBS. If your midwife offers it it is generally just done during labor- too irritating to do regularly beforehand. A study done in Italy found it to be as effective as antibiotic treatment at preventing GBS infection and was actually more effective at reducing E. coli colonization of the baby. Here
Another link
and another
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

GBS neg with first DS, GBS pos with second DS - i was told about the antibiotics, but since my 2nd DS was born in an ambulance he obviously came FAST and there was no time. He is perfectly healthy and happy. THey did keep me in the hossy for an extra night to keep checking his white counts, but it wasn't a huge deal at all.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixadorexpink View Post
Yes, you have to be hooked on the IV 5 hours before and they won't let you get up or anything. I just remember getting up once during the whole labor...so not fun.
I think it depends on hospital policy - although i didn't have to go through it since i never made it to the hospital until after he was born - i DID ask my MW about movement and getting up etc, and she said i have to sit for the 45 mins it takes to drain the IV, then they would unhook the line and i could get up and do whatever i felt like doing. 4 hours later i would need to sit back down and re-do it again, but she said i did NOT have to sit there for the duration of my labor.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 AM   #18
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can decline antibiotics.

Treating Group B Strep: Are Antibiotics Necessary?

GBS in Homebirth Setting
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #19
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I ended up getting there at 7-8CM. I did hibiclense for about a week before labor and during labor. As soon as I got to the birth center the midwife gave me an antibiotic. It was just a syringe full, she said if it was in for an hour it would be good, but really didn't care. So I held off for an hour. I knew as soon as she broke my water it would be over, so I waited. At exactly an hour later she was born. lol. Everything was fine.