Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
grcelizabeth
Registered Users

Question for water birthing mamas

I had back labor with my first and jetted tub was awesome for this but I started to have slurred speech and couldn't feel my face. It was really scary and felt better once I got out. No one has ever been able to explain any reasons why this happened. My 2nd and 3rd were so fast no time for the tub. This time we are going to deliver at a birth center or home birth and I really want to try a water birth.

My question is that have you ever heard of this experience before and what positions were you in to help with gravity? I want to be upright as much as possible with the help of gravity, but the water changes it because of its bouyancy. Any help would be great.

Advertisement

Grace: Crunchy mama to Jordan, Ellie, Savanna and #4
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
grcelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for water birthing mamas

I labored on my hands and knees in the tub

Was the water too hot for you in the tub the first time? Just curious, it needs to be exactly at 97-99 degrees.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
grcelizabeth
Registered Users

I just noticed that you are an LM and am a Doula who will be studying to be a Midwife soon. I don't know if the nurse ever checked the temperature. It was pretty warm, but I wonder what that would cause. I have tried doing research but came up with nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
I labored on my hands and knees in the tub

Was the water too hot for you in the tub the first time? Just curious, it needs to be exactly at 97-99 degrees.
Grace: Crunchy mama to Jordan, Ellie, Savanna and #4
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
grcelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually, I am not an LM yet My name is LisaMarie and I go by LM, lol. But I do have a good bit of advice in the area

The water can cause light-headedness, kind of like drinking too much in a hot tub, but maybe even a little worse b/c of all the hormones going through you/blood loss/etc. But more importantly than that is the fact that your body temp needs to be regulated as does the baby's and "body temp" water is the best way to make sure no one is too hot or cold.

If I am not mistaken, hot tubs can cause a stroke... off to research to see why I remember that.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depending on how deep the tub is you should be able to stay pretty grounded and not float unless you really want to. I used a kiddy pool and was able to stay on my knees through most of it. I never wanted too, but if I tried I would have been able to flip on my back and float.

My midwife suggest having the tub around 100 degrees. I can see how having it too hot may have an adverse effect. Maybe the pressure on your back/spine had something to do with it.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bump... I'm interested in this too!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Ameya
Registered Users

I'd bet it was the temperature as well (maybe you were a bit dehydrated on top of it?). I know that sometimes my shower is WAY too hot and i have to get out right away or i'd start passing out, and my ability to talk normally is the first thing that goes. Seems like that would be even more likely to happen if you were in back labor pain as well. Pain + too much heat = sure not-goodness.

I plan on waterbirthing too, but i'm fine with all fours. I read that the body is built for either squatting births or on all fours- it opens the body in all the right ways, so gravity does help, in a way, that way- but it's definitely a more natural position than laying on your back!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
xelakann
Registered Users

See my guess would the jets and the back labor... maybe the combo caused the contractions to hit a nerve and when you got out the baby was in a different position.

I say if you do a water birth again, don't turn on the jets... and if you need the support on your back stand in the shower. I LOVED the shower sprayer on my back, though I did deliver in the water.
xelakann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

I have never heard of that. I'm sorry that happened! It could have been unrelated to the water and just coincidental that it got better when you got out. I was on my knees the entire time I was in the birth pool. That is my favorite position for laboring and birth. The only problem I had was my arms kept falling asleep.