Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

accupressure

where are good sites to find labor inducing accupressure? my sister has hit her due date and and now she's getting bothered about being induced (i hate OBs ). walking isn't getting it done and i'm really interested in the acupressure.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
grcelizabeth
Registered Users

Re: accupressure

I forget some websites, but I'm sure all you have to do is use google search engine. Remember though, acupressure needs to be handled very carefully and on the exact spot for the alloted time.

Each acupressure point has a specific action. There is a spot in between the pointer finger and the thumb, deep down by where the two connect. Hold down with your other thumb and it should create a numbing feeling. I can't remember how long, I think somewhere around 1-2 min. but again YOU SHOULD CHECK TO MAKE SURE. There is another spot on the lower leg about 4 fingers up from where your foot and shin meet. Then slide your fingers over to the side until your pointer finger falls over the bone. This one should actually be somewhat painful if you are on the right spot.

Of course walking (won't put her into labor, but might help things get going), eating & drinking properly, sex (orgasm helps uterus to contract & semen helps to soften the cervix), nipple stimulation, OB can try stripping the membranes (only if cervix is ripe)(p.s. this is completely different from breaking bag of waters & even midwives do it when it's safe & it will only work if baby is ready). That's all I can think of right now. Oh, also getting an herb such as blue/black cohash is very strong and should be carefully decided before making a decision. Also, castral oil works havoc on your organs (that's why it CAN help to put into labor, but not exactly). It creates spasms all over on your intestines which can trigger the uterus to contract. That's enough for now.
Grace: Crunchy mama to Jordan, Ellie, Savanna and #4
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
grcelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Edit to add websites I found:
http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/...uce-labor.html

http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101....o_induce_labor

I just went to google and typed in: "Accupressure to induce labor" and a bunch of links came up. The above two were at the top of the list.

There is a pressure point on the back of the ankle... slide your hand down your calf until you come to your ankle. Right behind your ankle, above your heel, you'll feel an indentation, the Achilles Tendon...massaging that area has been known to cause contractions. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I was getting pedicures done, and I was told that during the massage part, to not let the girl massage that area because of the contractions thing.

Your sister can also go see an accupuncturist. They know of some accupuncture spots that can start things up.

She should also go to the health food store, and get some Evening Primrose Oil, and take it 2x a day. It will help the cervix soften and dialate, which can help start things. Alot of women actually use it as a vaginal suppository so that the oil gets directly on the cervix.

Have sex. There are protiens in semen that can start things going.

If she has a breast pump, tell her to pump each breast for 5 minutes, then break for an hour, then pump each breast another 5 minutes. This trick worked for me when I was pregnant with my second son. It was my due date and I did this, and it only took the first round, a few minutes later I leaned forward and my water broke!

Good luck and God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 09-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not to be a total Debby Downer (and I'm all about alternative medicine) but I did all the acupressure points for weeks and got nowhere. My DS was 12 days late and came in his own time, that's for sure!

Definitely give her the tips PPs mentioned, but help her as best you can to take a deep breath and to be patient. Getting stressed about trying every which way to get that baby out was the worst part for me!
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
panda13
Registered Users
seller

See if your sister can find a certified pregnancy massage therapist on this site:
http://www.kellylott.com/Practitione...3/Default.aspx

This is who I studied with to get my prenatal massage certification, and we were taught "Labor Starter" techniques with acupressure to the uterine/vaginal reflex point, which is between the ankle and the heel. I would definitely have someone else do it, rather than do it yourself, because it needs to last for about 30 minutes (on and off, with foot massage in between). It's also something that should ONLY be done at or after the due date. Hope she can find someone to help her!

BTW, the instructor (Kelly Lott) has used this technique many times, and says it almost always results in labor w/in about 24 hours!