Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #51
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting out of the hospital within 24 hrs?

I left 8hours after giving birth this past june. My lo was rushed to a hospital an hour away and I needed to be with her. I had a vag/epi, btw. It was certainly not ideal, but my ob ok'd it.

Advertisement

lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #52
OneAndCounting
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We left in about 32 hours, and dd was born at 1:46AM. That first day we tried to get as much of the "administrative" crap done so we could get out in the AM the next day. We could have gone home that night but we'd barely slept and needed a little more time to get our act together without worrying about DS at home and all. Fill out the birth certificate paperwork, get any of the nb stuff squared away (visit with pedi, hearing test, etc) and tell everyone you're feeling good and nursing is going great. be assertive and go HOME!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #53
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm delivering in a birthing center. You can leave as soon as you want. My Midwife said women stay anywhere between 2 and 8 hours on average...some decide to stay a little longer though, and that's ok with her. But she sends them home with instructions to be on modified bed reset for 3 days to get some rest.
Good luck and God bless,
Michelle
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #54
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My OB said if all is well, I can leave after 8 hours, but my pediatrician asks the baby stays for 12 hours (as if I'll be leaving without my baby...lol). I won't throw a fit if I have to stay 24 hours.

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #55
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had homebirths for #2 and #3 and was planning on a homebirth for #4, but I ended up with some bleeding complications at 32 weeks due to a very low-lying placenta and then decided to have a hospital birth. As disappointed as I was not to be able to birth at home (I said that I would never have another hospital birth again after #1), it actually ended up being a wonderful birth and the nurses, doctor, etc. pretty much let me do whatever I wanted as I had outlined in my birth plan. They were extremely accomodating. However, the early discharge was the only thing that the ped. would not allow. My OB was fine with me leaving in 24 hours (I don't think she would have allowed sooner), however the pediatricians on call at the hospital (our family doctor didn't have privileges at that hospital) absolutely would not let us leave earlier than 48 hours (well actually it ended up being longer since ds was born at 1:30 a.m.) because I had tested positive for Group B strep. My labor went very quickly so I didn't have time to get in the required 4 hours, or whatever it is, of antibiotics prior to delivery. They were insistent that we stay so that they could notice any signs of possible infection in him. If I had been negative for Group B strep, they would have let me leave after 24 hours. Oh well, while I was really upset about that prior to the birth, when I ended up staying the extra day, it was sort of nice to be fed, relax in the big whirlpool tub in my room, etc. in between nursings. I really missed having my family around though. I was so used to my homebirths where all of the siblings and daddy got to be with baby non-stop from the very beginning. So it was different but okay. Next one will definitely be at home again though if all goes well!
Kristin

Last edited by dolphingirl; 09-10-2009 at 10:48 PM.
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #56
fetah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just delivered on Wednesday @ a birth center & we were driving home 4 hours after the birth!
fetah is offline   Reply With Quote