Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #21
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: 18 m/o still doesn't sttn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinesFamily5 View Post
I swear its a boy thing!
big DS didn't STTN till he was 2.5, DD STTN at 2 months old!
I had a doctor tell me a few months ago that boys get a surge of growth hormone in the middle of the night, and that some boys are just more sensitive to that than others. She said she sees way more little boys who don't sleep well than little girls.

And in our house it's definitely true. My daughter has always been a happy sleeper. She started spontaneously sleeping through the night at 7 weeks old (even though exclusively breastfed and often co-sleeping), which was good, since I was still getting up with DS who was 22 months at the time, and getting up with 2 kids was getting a overwhelming.

DS is 4 now and it's completely hit-or-miss whether he sleeps through the night. He will sometimes go a few weeks of STTN, but then go a few weeks of lots of waking. He's just ultra-sensitive to everything -- too tired, not tired enough, what he ate, exciting day, growing pains, etc. -- and it all affects his sleep. Also, lately he's been going through a bad run of nightmares, which is following right in my footsteps since I was also pretty nightmare-prone as a kid.

DH & I agreed long before kids that we wouldn't co-sleep, and he still absolutely does not want kids in our bed, which I respect. But if I'm waking up a 2nd or 3rd time in the night, I've learned to take the kid with me to the guest room so at least we can get a little sleep.

Advertisement

momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
I had a doctor tell me a few months ago that boys get a surge of growth hormone in the middle of the night, and that some boys are just more sensitive to that than others. She said she sees way more little boys who don't sleep well than little girls.

And in our house it's definitely true. My daughter has always been a happy sleeper. She started spontaneously sleeping through the night at 7 weeks old (even though exclusively breastfed and often co-sleeping), which was good, since I was still getting up with DS who was 22 months at the time, and getting up with 2 kids was getting a overwhelming.

DS is 4 now and it's completely hit-or-miss whether he sleeps through the night. He will sometimes go a few weeks of STTN, but then go a few weeks of lots of waking. He's just ultra-sensitive to everything -- too tired, not tired enough, what he ate, exciting day, growing pains, etc. -- and it all affects his sleep. Also, lately he's been going through a bad run of nightmares, which is following right in my footsteps since I was also pretty nightmare-prone as a kid.

DH & I agreed long before kids that we wouldn't co-sleep, and he still absolutely does not want kids in our bed, which I respect. But if I'm waking up a 2nd or 3rd time in the night, I've learned to take the kid with me to the guest room so at least we can get a little sleep.

I absolutely completely agree with this. My DD STTN mostly by about 4-5 mos. No CIO involved, she just slept. My son... ugh. He's 12.5 mos and I think he's STTN maybe 10-14 times his whole life - and all of that was prior to 2 mos old. Every night since, he's up anywhere from 2-6 times a night, EVERY NIGHT. My DD (now 31 mos), is still sleeping blissfully in her own bed through the whole night. I personally think it's a boy thing. My son is also waaaaaay more dependent, clingy, whiny, and just generally more fussy and sensative than my DD has ever been. It's ok, I love him the way he is, but man! It's exhausting.

I also have come to the point where we have a futon in my son's room and on those nights where he is impossible to get to sleep, I sleep with him there - as DH does not want kids in our bed. I know that in the long run, sleeping with him on the futon randomly may make things worse, but I kid you not when I say that just 3-4 hours of straight sleep is a miracle and SOOOO worth it.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5 year old doesn't sleep at night still! He will sleep all morning, though.
I know this is controversial, so please no hate messages but with my dd I let her cry it out at 15 months. I was tired of not sleeping. She would go to her bed and wake up every night at 2am. I couldn't put her in the bed with me because she would try to play. She wasn't napping during the day and with 2 other boys I just had to get sleep.
Anyways it only took 2 nights of her crying for 45 minutes each night before she finally sleeps through the night now. I would go in when she woke up, make sure she had her blanket, paci and some toys, and then walk out and go to bed.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

STTN is not a development milestone in life...I hate to say this, but he may or may not sttn....I don't sttn myself...I am up several times. I have 4 kids, and they sttn here and there, but there is always one or more up periodically.

Are you responding to every noise he makes that sounds fussy? If so keep in mind that yes children need to be tended to at night if they are beside themselves. But sometimes kids will wake up and will fuss a bit and then will put themselves back to sleep. At that age your child is old enough to start to learn how. So maybe instead of going to him right away (if you are now, I am not sure if you are) don't go for 3-5 minutes...let him work it out. My DD wakes up every night 3 times to look for her water. She will cry and shriek for like 2 or so minutes while she fumbles around for her water. She finds it, drinks it and then goes back to sleep. We used to run up there every time, and then she would fully wake up and then we would have to start the sleep process all over again. Now she is able to get herself back to sleep, we just had to allow her to learn how.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote