Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pre-employment screening and pg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
I don't think they can test without your consent. And it is illegal for them not to hire you because you are preggers, but they could very easily find another reason no to kwim?
ITA. I used to work for a guy that would decide not to hire a woman who was expecting. He always came up with some other excuse, but it was really that he didn't want to hire somebody who was going to be gone on maternity leave a few months down the road. I could have reported him, but A) he was a weasel, and I'd have been the one to get reprimanded, and B) I figured these women were a heckuva lot better off not working for the creep.

Advertisement

ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Mommy2Nick&Luke
Registered Users

My Mood:

when i got my job i have now i just found out i was pg not to long before i went for the job and when i went in for my interview i was very up front and let them know right then and there i was expecting and would be leaving before my due date for leave....and guess what im still working there no problems at all with me being pg everyone there loves it! lol i also work for walmart but its a great job and everyone is sooooooooo nice ! all my managers every day ask how baby is doing and how i am doing and say let us know asap when u have baby so we can let the store know which is aswome!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
ReagansMommy
Registered Users
seller

They can't use that as a basis for not hiring you, but they don't have to hold your position if you decide to come back from leave...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

legally they can't do a pregnancy test, you have to sign papers saying it is ok to do a drug screen and that is all they are allowed to do, it does not vary from state to state it is a federal law covered under the HIPPA privacy acts.
And don't worry about the drug screeners running a pregnancy test without you knowing, no place is going to risk those kinds of fines and punishments and if you are worried, under the HIPPA laws you have a right to request a copy of your test results.

ETA: congrats on the pregnancy

Last edited by lilmama2dsndd; 03-16-2007 at 09:27 PM.
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Every job I've had has done the pre-employment drug screen (which you have to consent to, or they won't hire..)...but a pg test is not part of that - like others have said. I was pregnant when I started my last job and no one knew it.