Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #31
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o: what is your budget for DC bday present?

I take them to Build-A-Bear and let them pick out an animal and two outfits. It usually comes to about $60. And then they have an animal for all their birthdays. Do you think they'll want to do it when they reach their teens?

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #32
momtomaximusandjackson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A little over $100 for birthdays (mostly clothes...I'm seriously addicted to BabyGap!)

Christmas...around $200 each.
momtomaximusandjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #33
rae_g
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

$50 maximum. We've only spent that much if there was something specific that DD wanted, like a ride-on car when she was one, or a doll house when she was 3. Nieces, nephews, and friends birthday or Christmas presents are usually $10 or less. Christmas presents for our kids don't have a set budget, but they each get only 3 gifts and one of those is jammies, so we're usually well below $75 per kid.

Poor DS doesn't need anything after everything we've gotten for DD, so one of his three Christmas presents was a custom pocket diaper.
Rachel- Mama to 2 Big Kids and #3 Coming Soon!
rae_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #34
tomatojane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This thread has given me a lot to think about. Thanks everyone!
tomatojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #35
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

I try to make some gifts, too. Last Christmas, DD got playsilks. These were a huge hit! She's also gotten beanbags and handmade wooden people and animal cut-outs. For her birthday this year, we're planning on having DH make her some playstands. I think quality is much more important than quantity or dollar value.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #36
Kiddo353
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, dd#1 got a $50 dora tricycle (that she won't touch) in Nov from daddy, and I got her a $8 doll house that she adores...lol I think I usually spend more on the PARTY itself then I usually do with gifts.

DD# 2 is getting a backyardigan dipe and I am gonna make her a backyardigan dress to go with it....that's all she's getting from me, and daddy is half a world away so....oh well.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #37
my4blessings
Registered Users
Formerly: my3kiddos
seller

My Mood:

We usually spend $50 on bdays and put another $50 in their savings accounts. We $50 for each at Christmas. We spend $10 each on our nieces and nephews at bdays and Christmas.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #38
mikahsmomma
Registered Users
seller

We have a massive, massive extended family in town so I doubt either of my kids would notice if they didn't get a present from us. At least at this age! So far neither one of them has gotten a wrapped traditional present. Instead we usually buy one thing that they need. For their first birthdays they each got a toybox for their room. This year Mikah's getting this...
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000CSRJ1I
to help organize her Legos, Barbies, etc. We're also signing her up for swimming lessons at the YMCA for $30. Practical and yet something she'll love. I think last year we just bought her a couple of summer outfits though. It really just depends on what she needs at the time. We're the same way with Christmas. Some years they just get a couple of books - some years we do more.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #39
razz116
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nate will get one thing from us on his birthday at home. Probably something small. We've gotten him a cute shirt from the Gap that has a red and white 1 on it...I think I may try to get a diaper for him embroidered with something that looks similar...maybe.

His party is almost two weeks later and will be huge as it is the same weekend I'm graduating from college and we'll have family in town. I'd imagine he's going to get lots of stuff there and we don't need tons of toys.