Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
ryansmom33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: does anybody else have a hard time fitting in?

ughhh honestly what's wrong with people.

I'm a member of my local MOPS group. Check into seeing if there's a group around where you are. It is Christian based (I don't know how you would feel about that) and I think all my moms are wonderful and accepting.

I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #12
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmom33 View Post

I'm a member of my local MOPS group. Check into seeing if there's a group around where you are. It is Christian based (I don't know how you would feel about that) and I think all my moms are wonderful and accepting.

mops is exactly what i had been thinking, i fiqured they'd be a bit more understanding.
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
WestCoastBuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmom33 View Post

i was going to suggest mops-i have made several good friends at mine.

Heather , to Ryan (9-2-000) my hero is home-praying for recovery, and mom to Garrett (11-29-02) & Alex (5-29-06)
WestCoastBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
karenann33
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you need new friends. My best friend has 2 crack babies that she adopted. They are obviously developmentally delayed but they are very sweet. They are now 5 and 3 and while they aren't where my kids are they get along just fine. It's never bothered me one bit and my kids never seemed to notice the differences. The only thing I needed to know was what to watch out for when they were in my care (I've watched her kids a few times).

Sounds to me like the parents are just being rediculous.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD has fine and gross motor delays and SPD, and it is hard to fit in. You get so tired of explaining yourself over and over again. I am lucky because she is 4 1/2 and has developed her own ways of coping and it is less noticeable now than it was when she was younger. I hope you find a good group who can be supportive and proud of his accomplishments instead of focusing on what is different.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in a similar situation.... My DS will be 2 in a month and a half and he can't walk or talk. He's also a LOT smaller than kids his age. So while he's crawling around on his tummy or sitting in the corner, the other kids are running and jumping around (and half the time, stepping on him ).

I don't really have any advice... I mostly just don't bring him around kids his age. He fits in a lot better with smaller babies.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 03-17-2007 at 01:32 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is a great poem for you mamas:
Kids Who Are Different

Here's to the kids who are different
The kids who don't always get A's,
The kids who have ears twice the size of their peers,
And noses that go on for days...
The kids they call crazy or dumb,
The kids who don't fit, with guts and the grit,
Who dance to a different drum...
The kids with the mischievous streak,
For when they have grown, as history's shown,
It's their difference that makes them unique.

(Copyright 1982, by Digby Wolfe, printed with permission.)
Old 03-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #18
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with a lot of the other posts. Sounds like ignorant parents. My nephew is 9 and is autistic and I worked as his PCA for about 9 months and it was terrible how other parents treated him, but when we went to parks and the childrens parents weren't there (I kinda live in a not so good area where people jjust let there kids run wild!) they'd play with him just fine! And hes a lot like your son where most people just don't understand him. Inact his Mom has these little 'business cards' that say My child has autism. And explains the behaviours and asks please not to treat him differently or rudely.
GL
Denise
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #19
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I am right there too. Kearnan has PDD NOS, speach delay and SPD. We don't even try right now. Especially since Tharen came along, I just can't manage them both when we are out. I found that alot of mom's tried to be understanding, but unless you have been there you just don't understand. We get the "look" alot, that "why doesn't she control him better" look. I feel badly because neither of the boys get to have friends. But it isn't fair to take them somewhere where they aren't going to be happy either. I distinctly remember doing a gymnastics class with Kearnan when he was three going on four. The instructor was very nice and understanding, but one of the other boys kept making fun of Kearnan. I wanted to walk over and grab him. We wound up having to move down to the 2-3 class because Kearnan couldn't handle keeping up with the other kids. I don't think he understood but I felt hurt for him. I feel hurt every time a child shy's away from him or a parent rolls their eyes. He can't help being the way he is, but they could. We are looking for an autism support group locally where he can get together with other kids like him. And hopefully we can find other parents who have btdt.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #20
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm thinking of enrolling him in a tumbling class at the Y but only if they will let him go with the 18-35 monthes old group, i think he'll have a hard time with 3-5 year olds.He just turned 3 last month.
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote