Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supplementing BM?

Your supply may be dropping because AF is about to return. Please read these two links:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

As for the pp who was worried about keeping up as baby grows--you don't have to make larger bottles for your baby as he gets older. My ds is 11 months old and still only gets a 4 ounce bottle every 3 hours and he is a whopping 27 lbs! A 3 ounce bottle every 3 hours would probably be more reasonable.

Advertisement

Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
parkers_mom
8/14 File with paypal if waiting on items!

My Mood:

I had to supplement when DS was younger due to my low supply and his faliure to thrive at the time. It was so hard on me, but I knew he needed it. I was still at home at the time though and used a supplemental nusing system to supplement so it also stimulated me to produce more milk. I pumped, ate oatmeal, drank mothers milk tea, took fenugreek, and was on medicine, all to boost my supply. In time it got better, but he was such a big eater for awhile I wasn't able to keep up and eventually had donor breastmilk instead of formula. This lasted until he started eating solids and then eventually his nursing appitite slowed a bit and he finally was satisfied with just what I was producing.

I know it is so hard to supplement when you want to exclusively breast feed, but at times you do what you need to. Keep pumping and feeding on demand as well as doing other things to boost your supply and hopefully it will get better!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
jsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothrookie View Post
I am having supply issues as well. I am exclusively pumping. We had latching issues early on and just got into this habit. She will be 8 mos in a few days. I used to be able to pump 10 oz in the morning and about 4oz 3 more times a day. Now I just barely get 8 in the am and 2 my other 3 session. It seems to have been dropping for about 1-2 mos. I tried the tea and almost puked it tasted so nasty. I just tried the Fenugreek capsules 2 days ago, now I have a blocked duct right under my nipple. Very painful. I am afraid to take it again. It did increase my milk a little bit. But at a price.

I have just been able to keep up, she takes 4- 5oz bottles a day. I end up giving her a bottle of formula every 2-3 days. All of my frozen milk turned sour so I don't have any of that. Despite all the effort to freeze it. ?????ODD.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over giving the baby formula. Just keep giving the baby what you can. Any BM that she/he gets will be wonderful for them.

Best of luck!
What!? The fenugreek caused a blocked duct? I was just looking to order some...

FacebookGallaryRavelry
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
What!? The fenugreek caused a blocked duct? I was just looking to order some...
I took it for a while and it didn't really do much for me and it made our bathroom smell like an IHOP. It was creeping DH out. Let me scavange and see if I still have them. I'll PM you if I do.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Ashlyn's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the support Mamas. My supply hasn't changed much in the month since I posted this but I have been able to supplement my milk with donor milk!!! Since supplementing with the donor milk, I haven't had to use formula. it was a little weird at first, thinking she was getting someone else's milk but I like it more than giving her formula. She is approaching the year mark so I am not as concerned now but I hoping to go as long as possible with my milk and donated milk! There are some wonderful Mamas out there!
Ashlyn's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
tdd9903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlyn's Mommy View Post
Thanks for the support Mamas. My supply hasn't changed much in the month since I posted this but I have been able to supplement my milk with donor milk!!! Since supplementing with the donor milk, I haven't had to use formula. it was a little weird at first, thinking she was getting someone else's milk but I like it more than giving her formula. She is approaching the year mark so I am not as concerned now but I hoping to go as long as possible with my milk and donated milk! There are some wonderful Mamas out there!
How did you score that? I am in your boat, 9m old DD, supply drop, eating oatmeal.. ect. Except for the fungreek which gives me terrible cramps and never upped my supply.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Sk8ermaiden
Registered Users

My Mood:

You don't hold the bottles when you pump and drive! They make hands free pumping bras. You hook up in the driveway, turn it on, pull down your shirt or nursing cover and drive to work. Once there you unhook. It is scads less distraction/danger than talking on a cell phone or using the radio!

Pumping alone can lower your supply over time since the pump is less effective than the baby. But yes, we had to supplement too - still do, though now we have donor milk. It's not the end of the world. I just make sure baby gets every ounce I can give!

Fenugreek doesn't cause blocked ducts - if you use it to increase supply and then are not able to adequately/often empty that can cause blocked ducts, just like any "natural" oversupply would. I have tried just about every supply booster known to man and Fenugreek was the only thing that made any difference at all.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; 09-17-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Sk8ermaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't be discouraged if Fenugreek doesn't work (but I hope it does!) It just made me smell like an IHOP.

Water, no caffeine and sleep are my magic bullets! If I can get any water or sleep, and do without the caffeine!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Carolina Kel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Fenugreek doesn't cause blocked ducts - if you use it to increase supply and then are not able to adequately/often empty that can cause blocked ducts, just like any "natural" oversupply would. I have tried just about every supply booster known to man and Fenugreek was the only thing that made any difference at all.
You can also take a soy lecithin supplement to help thin out your milk. It works wonders in preventing clogged ducts.

I would also make sure your bra is not the culprit - I switched bras recently and had a whopper clogged duct because the bra was catching the girls the wrong way. I went back to my old ones and so far, so good.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote