Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tattoos?

I know most pages I've read have said that getting a tattoo during breastfeeding is fine, but I wanted to get other bfing mothers' oppinions as well.

DS is 8 weeks old. In August, it will be 1 year since I have cut myself (I used to suffer from severe depression and self-injury) and a long time ago I promised myself a very special tattoo if I ever managed to kick the self-injuring habit. I'm very excited that this date is coming up, and just want to make sure that I'm not going to hurt my son by doing so. I already have a black tattoo and a color tattoo, so I know I'm not allergic to the ink, and I have a wonderful artist at a very highly held studio.

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tattoos?

First of all and congratulations on kicking a very difficult habit. I too used to self injure as a teen.

It is totally safe to tattoo while breastfeeding as long as you pick a good artist and establishment. As long as the establishment is clean getting a tatoo is no more dangerous than going to the dentist. I got my first two tats while pregnant, and got my most recent when ds2 was 4 months old. I will warn you that in some people pregnancy or nursing can cause your tat to take longer to heal which can result in it needing some touch ups. However if you are healthy that isn't necessarily the case. My newest one did take a lot longer to heal than my others, but I have had some health problems lately, and it is 3 times bigger than any of my others. Bottom line though there is no reason not to do it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tattoos?

I have heard the only real risk in getting a tattoo while pregnant is the diseases you can get from a dirty needle. Make sure you use a tattoo parlor that uses disposable needles so you aren't at that risk. Most states have a law that requires that now anyways.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote