Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yard sale find - but what are they?

I scored some PFs at a yard sale this morning, for free!! Which is exciting, b/c I had been wanting to try them out with the new LO, yet DH was opposed (he says he requires elastic and snap/velcro on his diapers), BUT since I didn't have to pay anything for them, he can't really say much

However, I know NOTHING about PFs and am hoping someone can help me figure out if these are a decent quality and if I'll be able to use them on a NB. They're super-soft and quilty w/ no stains, the mama I got them from said she had used them on multiple kids, so they've been washed a million times. The stitching is dark green on most of them, and then 4 are larger and have light green stitching. The dark green ones actually seem to be 2 different sizes, half are about 10x12 and the others are 10.5x14. Is this just a normal variation in sizing after washing, or are they actually different sizes?? The light green ones are 12x14 and don't seem as thick, maybe a poorer quality.

What do you think? Will the smaller ones work on a NB? Is the stitching color standard across brands (i.e., I know that the GMD site says dark green is infant size, but is that also the case for other brands)? Also, when websites state a size for a PF is that before or after washing? I'm thinking that maybe these are infant PFs, and that the dimensions are different than what stores list b/c they're washed and have shrunk?

Does any of this make sense?

Advertisement

Last edited by Caz; 09-26-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Waiting4babybump
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yard sale find - but what are they?

What kind of garage sale was that? Free stuff! WOW.

My newborn diapers were about 12 by 12 so yeah I would think you can use the 10x12 as a nb diaper. It looks like you have different sizes since 2 inches is a lot of variation on a washed diaper.
By the way here is the size chart for GMD pfs, it has some good information even if your pfs arent from that store. Just look for your closest washed dimensions and see what age/weight it will fit and what size cover will work with it.

Hope that helps!
Waiting4babybump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say the dark green pfs are infant sized pfs - most likely 4x8x4 layering. Those are fairly standard size. You can use them on a nb if they're not too tiny - well you could use them on a tiny nb with lots more folding. I was using them on dd#2 when she was a week old and she was 8lb5oz at birth.

The light green I'm not sure about. I have some light green ones that are 4x6x4 layering but they are basically the same size at my dark green ones. They aren't quite as quilty so just a tiny smidge bigger but not inches bigger.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Sound like standard Chinese prefolds in infant size you'll have to fold them down a bit for a small baby but yes very good quality great buy. I have found some decrepecny in prefold sizes just depending on the batches..

Deanna
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info - I hadn't seen the chart on GMD showing the dimensions after washing - they definitely seem most comparable to the newborn size, which is excellent news since that's when I was hoping to be able to use them!

I was surprised to find them there for free as well, but most of the covers were pretty well-loved, so I doubt she would have been able to get anything for them. I lucked out by being the first person to go through the boxes of diapers, I definitely got the best she had, since a bunch of the other PFs had some degree of staining. But, the dozen plus that I got are in awesome condition - very exciting!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you sun the stained ones you may be able to get the stains out
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

who cares they are free...LOL.....
lucky you .... I wanted to hit the garage sales today.... but was really tired
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
rda_mama
Registered Users
seller

What are you and DH using now? You can always put your PF in an elastist cover with velcro closures ... just gets cleaner than most AIOs! And you have the benefit of being able to re-use the cover. And they fit better in a handbag (instead of carrying the huge suitcase / diaper bag.) I wrote in my blog about my discovery of prefold diapers ... HTH!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
imacowgirl2
Registered Users
seller

The light greens might be a capri or trimmed prefold...I know Little Lions sells a capri sized that is about 12.5x14 after washing, and does have a green stitching. I have some, and the green stictching on mine is slightly ligher than the green stitching on my infants. Sounds like they might also be regular instead of premium....4x6x4 regular definitely feels thinner than 4x8x4 premium because of having two less layers in the middle.
imacowgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the same thing, the dark green and light green stitching, I have been using them since day 1 (well 3) If you fold them down they fit nicely. DS is 5mos and about 16lbs and I am just now starting to leave some of the more quilted (thus smaller) ones unfolded.

about folding, I was told for boys to fold in the front. It didn't work for me. Folding in the back give a much nicer flat lay.