Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Older Bedwetter??

My dd turned 8 in May and she still pees the bed. Not every once in awhile, I am talking she wears a Huggies overnight pull up each night because if she doesn't, she pees her bed. Not a tinkle, the pull up weighs a ton in the morning.

I asked a ped. about it before and she said there isnt anything to do, or we can get an alarm and when she starts to wet it will wake her up. I dont think that would work because dd sleeps so heavy- which is why I think she is wetting, tbh.

We've tried witholding drinks b4 bed and same thing. She also pees a few times b4 bed each night.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. 1 pk of pull ups is $18 and lasts 2-3 weeks. Its getting $$ to have her keep on doing this. We did use a cloth pull on when she was younger, but my oh my did that reek, so I won't use those again.

Any advice? Any others that have older bedwetters?

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
threekidsn3yrs
Registered Users

Re: Older Bedwetter??

Sorry, no real advice just some maybes. I'm sure its tough for you and her.

Have you thought about waking her in the night (maybe even more than once) to try and get her used to waking up to pee? Or maybe make sure there isn't other underlying issues?

I hope someone has some good advice because of experience with it.
threekidsn3yrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Spindle Spun
Spindle Spun - Handspun Goodness
Formerly: iamslh
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat mama, so I understand. I have two older bedwetters. My oldest is nine and my younger one is 6. My younger one has CP though, so she is delayed in muscle control. My older is just a bedwetter. It is hard, but we are biding our time and not making a big deal of it. I had a friend that wet the bed until she was 13. She told me she never knew why she did it, and when she stopped it meant her body was just ready. She would have stopped earlier if she could have, but all the to-do about it just made her feel bad and she still couldn't stop wetting the bed.

I pay the kids $1 each day they wake up dry, so they have an incentive. No big deal if they are wet, but big deal if they are dry!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks Sarah. Thats the issue. She doesn't know she's doing it. She doesnt even wake up when she has to go. When I say wets, I mean WETS as in, her pull up is soaked in the morning.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the same problem and am looking for solutions. My son is 5, so not quite as old, but his younger brother almost always stays dry. One thing I will suggest is getting some of those waterproof pads from Wal-Mart (2/pack for $11.50). They've done really well keeping his bed dry and I bought 2 packs, so I'm not having to do laundry every day and they're a lot easier to clean than sheets and they absorb all his mess. They do need to air dry, but that's not a big deal. I've tried waking him up in the middle of the night, and it worked once in a while, but not consistently and made me REALLY grumpy from lack of sleep. I'm not sure what else to try because mine is a very sound sleeper.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am right there with you mama.
My dd is 7. She pees right before bed. I always wake her up to pee before I go to bed, sometimes the pull up is wet already, she always pees, (change pull up if needed) and then it's always soaked in the morning. Most days I need to wash her bedding because it leaks out the side.

I know my dh we the bed until he was 12 and I was probably 9. I know it can be hereditary.
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote