Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Daughter hit head on hard floor

My 20 month old just fell off the bed (actually she was pushed by another kid) and landed head first on the wooden floor. It was LOUD and she cried for quite a long time. She seems ok now and is playing, annoyingly it is her bedtime but we need to keep her up for a while now to keep an eye on her. What would you do? Go to the ER? If she seems ok does it mean that things are ok, and what should I watch for? I don't know what to do...

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Daughter hit head on hard floor

I am sorry she fell /got pushed Watch her for vomiting, if she walks, see if she is balanced, or seems dizzy. how are her pupils? dialated,or ok, if you have a flashlight, check them to make sure they are getting large then small as you move the light.
Other than that, if she;s not bleeding, keep her up another hour and make sure everything seems ok.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She isn't lethargic and dozy? That is what i have been told to watch for anyhow. Might be worth a call to an advice nurse to confirm you are not worrying for nothing or need to go in. I know several babies that have rolled off beds onto hard wood and been just fine. It all depends on how they hit and then if they seem ok afterward. Poor baby! Poor mama!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She seems normal, i just checked her pupils and it looks good, she's talking, drinking, eating, watching an elmo dvd now and singing and dancing (i was trying to give her her favorite thing to forget about the fall). I think we may just keep her up late tonight and have her sleep in our room to check on her.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I am glad she sounds fine mama, I also would have her sleep with you so you can be sure she is fine and will be next to you.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

When DS hit DD on the head she had a huge goose egg so I took her to the after hours pediatrician. She turned out okay...here are the recommendations (I noticed another mama posted the same in her response too) that the Dr. gave me to watch for:
1. ANY vomiting
2. Pupils dilated and fixed (flashlight trick works well)
3. Excessive sleepiness and not being able to be roused. the Dr. said to have her sleep with me and to try to rouse her every 2 hours to make sure I could wake her up.
4. Changes in behavior, excessive crying, avoiding light etc.
Glad it seems that your DD is doing fine. I am sure you were really scared...I know that I was!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everybody for your advice! I'm glad to report she seems ok and no obvious damage that I can see.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad she's ok!