Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
DD screaming at night after trip to ER

I never thought I'd be asking for sleep help, with my DD anyway. She's been in her crib, in her own room, since she was 4 months old. She slept good as an infant, only waking to nurse and started sleeping through the night around 8 months. Her bedtime is at 8 and she slept until 8 the next day no problem, no crying nothing. Two weeks ago today we had our 1st trip to the ER, horrible to say the least. Fever of 104.4, multiple tests including 4 people(2 nurses, DH, and I) holding her down while she was screaming to have blood drawn and an IV put in. Ever since this trip nights have been awful. She screams and can not put herself to sleep unless she's dead tired. Before we could lay her down wide awake and she'd put herself to sleep with no fuss.If she wakes during the night she screams at the top of her lungs. We have tired to let her CIO but she wont stop, after one hour of SCREAMING last night I went and got her and put her in our bed. I have went in her room at other screaming sessions, shushed her, patted her back, until she calmed down and slowly(like over a 15 minute span)made my way to the door using only my voice to soothe her. She's fine, but when I'm gone she screams "Mommy, nooooooooo!" and starts crying. She told me last night "I scared." She's still 1 and I can't explain to her that everything is fine (well we do, but she can't comprehend the whole situation.) I don't know what to do. I work FT and so does DH we are getting little to no solid sleep and neither is she. Suggestions please?

I have thought about setting up her toddler bed and putting it beside our bed and letting her move to it during the night? She's only 30 inches tall, so she's still in a crib.

She has a lovie, a satin blanket, and goes to bed with it each night. She also has a paci(no flames please), a night light, and classical music playing softly. Nightime routine is the same, bath pj's, snuggles, book, bed. Nothing has changed but the 6 hour trip to the ER when all this started.

Wife to my HS sweetheart and forever love since 07/05 Mama to little beauty Chloe 01/08 and busy bee Ella 03/11 Our miracle over infertility baby boy Titus 09/13 Proud donor mom...1394oz so far
Lactivist, Intactivist, Delayed/Selective Vaxing, CD, BW, co sleeping, ERF Mama
doodle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
Re: DD screaming at night after trip to ER

Sending some good sleeping vibes your way!!! Maybe it was just a little too tramatizing for dd?! She sounds like she just feels safer with you right now. I'd just let her sleep with you for a few days to get some rest.. I know its not ideal for some families but shes so little. DS is 13 mo and feels the need to be with us from about 2am on. I figure he's only little once might as well enjoy the cuddles!
Laurie. Mother of 2 crazy boys! Wife of 1 crazy husband! Pink Papaya Consultant! Natural home spa and beauty products you'll love!
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: DD screaming at night after trip to ER

My DD was almost 2 when she had to spend a couple of days and it was really rough on her too. Once we got home, every time anyone got out a band-aid she freaked out and she would also go into hysterics when she saw a wagon (they tried to make her ride in one to be transported from her room to the place were the x-rays were done). She also woke up crying during the night. Whenever she did, we would just go get her and bring her into our bed for the rest of the night. Eventually she stayed in her bed all night long again and went back to her regular routine. The only thing that really helped was the passage of time--I guess the memories started to fade for her and so did the fears. I agree with your thought to put her in your room temporarily until she feels confident about sleeping alone again. Once the fear starts to wear off and the memories start to fade, I bet you'll be able to transition her back to her own room without a problem.
Mom to DD1 Peyton (5/12/06), DD2 Micah (4/1/09) & DS1 Ryland (10/27/10)
Erica526 is offline   Reply With Quote