Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #21
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Discriminatory shipping for Canadians?

I am glad you posted this, I have never shipped to Canada because I was under the impression it would be a lot more expensive and I list my dipes as ppd, so I don't go back and charge extra.
I live in Alaska, and I get the 'lower 48 only' thing...which is silly b/c it's usually not any more expensive to ship here, the post office subsidizes shipping up here or else it would be crazy expensive. I can kind of relate.
So, I apologize, and I will not discriminate against Canadians next time I list some diapers...

Advertisement

and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
JennyMay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am so glad you posted this...
I too am getting a bit "annoyed" for lack of better term of the extra charges..
My sisters live in the US and use DS and tell me that it costs no more extra under a certain weight...
I have not purchased from certain people because of it...
I don't mind either the extra 1-2 for the trip to the PO but adding 5 a diaper like someone tried to... a bit crazy!!!

I just wish we had cheaper shipping for us Canadians..
JennyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #23
rachaellindsey
Registered Users
seller

HAHA! Thanks mama for checking the postage, I am an idiot and didn't notice the drop-down menu for "place" and I was calculating to Abu Dhabi! What a moron. It is like 50 cents more and I do live in Texas! I don't see why anyone would charge $10 extra. Riduculous!
rachaellindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #24
nrgburst
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaellindsey View Post
HAHA! Thanks mama for checking the postage, I am an idiot and didn't notice the drop-down menu for "place" and I was calculating to Abu Dhabi! What a moron. It is like 50 cents more and I do live in Texas! I don't see why anyone would charge $10 extra. Riduculous!
LOL I was about to suggest that- somebody in the cloth_diapering comm did the exact same thing!

Well, I'm glad I started this thread- I had this long discussion with somebody over why I thought it was unfair to charge me postage plus cost for a 15oz item when it was cost ppd within the States. (FYI It costs $4.80 domestically for Priority because it's too heavy to go First Class. To Canada? $4.81 by First Class Int'l. Seriously. One penny difference.)

And I understand the beef about DC, but TBH, I don't think most people put it on. It's not like we live in countries where customs officials are corrupt as a rule. And if the mail goes undelivered, it will be returned to sender. And I know everybody worries about getting good feedback so they don't get banned. So to me the risk is relatively small- although I can definitely see how it would be important for pricey purchases like a bunch of NIP GMs.
nrgburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #25
blessedmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm still rather new here, and I put that I wouldn't ship to Canada at the moment because of the DC. From what I understand you can't have DC from the states to Cananda? I just want to be able to track everything until I get tons of feedback, because being new, I've already been taken advantage of and I have to make sure I cross all my t's and dot all my i's so I can keep a great rating, KWIM? So with that being said, why can't DC be tracked to Canada?
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #26
Veronica
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmama2 View Post
I'm still rather new here, and I put that I wouldn't ship to Canada at the moment because of the DC. From what I understand you can't have DC from the states to Cananda? I just want to be able to track everything until I get tons of feedback, because being new, I've already been taken advantage of and I have to make sure I cross all my t's and dot all my i's so I can keep a great rating, KWIM? So with that being said, why can't DC be tracked to Canada?
The package can be tracked to the boarder, But after it crosses it leaves US post and turns into Canada post. IMO it's just too complicated and too much work they dont want to bother. But please correct me if im wrong.

On another note, I ran into an issue shipping within Canada, where the customer put a stop payment after I had shipped the item, When I tried to track the package and have it returned I was told by a few different pp at the po that once it ships it no longer belongs to the shipper it belongs to the recipient, So my question is how does the shipper get blamed when a package doesnt arrive?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #27
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Nice that you posted this..hopefully more sellers will see it.
I've shipped to Canada for 5+ years now between 2 businesses and the pricing is not much different (talking cents up to 2-3 dollars) until you hit the 3 lb. mark. And once you hit 4 pounds it goes up quite a bit because you are forced to ship priority mail.

But I do understand people wanting to charge more because they insist on using priority only. That's the only way to insure the package and some are very leery about scammers and not being able to have some sort of protection. kwim? But they need to ship it priority mail if they are going to charge enormous amounts.

Last edited by Bee Green Naturals; 10-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Bee Green Naturals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #28
SJH
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have to admit that I am VERY tired of this as well.

I am also VERY tired of having to pay twice as much to ship something to them. So say we exchanged a diaper in a trade or something I end up paying more shipping. And if I sell soemthing I usually be nice and keep my shipping rates low and end up getting 1/2 the sale because it all goes to shipping. I hate it.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #29
groovybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
The package can be tracked to the boarder, But after it crosses it leaves US post and turns into Canada post. IMO it's just too complicated and too much work they dont want to bother. But please correct me if im wrong.
In my experience ordering from the States, if a seller pays for DC you can track the parcel on the USPS website to the Canadian border. Once it arrives at the Canadian border, there will be no further updates on the USPS site, but you can go over to the Canada Post website and plug in the DC number and the tracking will pick up over there and show you where the parcel is in transit. It's a very handy feature.

That being said, in my experience as a buyer it is a lot more expensive to ship from the States to Canada with DC than without. Personally, I just determine on a case by case basis if it is worth the additional cost to me (if the seller wants me to cover that extra cost).
groovybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #30
thatie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovybaby View Post
In my experience ordering from the States, if a seller pays for DC you can track the parcel on the USPS website to the Canadian border. Once it arrives at the Canadian border, there will be no further updates on the USPS site, but you can go over to the Canada Post website and plug in the DC number and the tracking will pick up over there and show you where the parcel is in transit. It's a very handy feature.
I had no idea! Thanks for posting.

I've found 2 online shops who will ship to Canada with either very low shipping

http://www.sewcraftybaby.com/store/Default.asp

or no shipping

I haven't bought anything from them yet but I will check there first !

http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/
thatie is offline   Reply With Quote