Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
possible transfer to Ia

Ok Iowa people help me out. hubby is intervieiwing for a promtion that'll move us to Des moines.

so far from research this is what i've seen/heard........low cost of living, high taxes, good place to raise kids, not much diversity, good schools, low crime, brutal winters, smaller towns not friendly to "outsiders", hot and humid summers.

anything else or is some of that incorrect?

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: possible transfer to Ia

anyone?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok dh got the job so i could really use some help.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
SiriusEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds about right to me! I'm in Cedar Falls...about two hours from DM. Winters are long...and cold...but overall not a bad place!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds pretty accurate Small towns can be pretty clanish. I grew up here and have lived here my whole life minus the time I spent at Ft. Riley w/ DH. I love it here. It's a great place to live I think. What part of the state are you moving to?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
erynn42
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi and welcome to Ia. I think what you're saying is fairly correct. I grew up in a small town. They seemed as far as I know to welcome people alright, but I've also heard of small towns that weren't as accepting. I actually just moved to a small town and haven't had any problems so far. I don't know how to describe if taxes are high as they are all I've known. Really, it depends on which county you're in or school district. Des Moines is in Polk County and is pretty expensive compared to other counties surrounding. If you're looking to be away from the big city, they have a great RideShare program that is worth looking into.
erynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
organicmommy
Banned

My Mood:

I live about 30 minutes north of Des Moines and most of what you said is true. You will have/see the most diversity in either Des Moines (or suburbs) and Ames compared to the smaller towns. Some of the smaller towns are pretty accepting, others not so much. I grew up in the area I live in, however neither of my parents are from the towns we lived in. One of the towns was terrible for outsiders, the other was great. The school district we are currently in is terrible and I will be doing open enrollment for my kids and driving them to school.
Myself personally I would live North or South of Des Moines because the cost of living and taxes is so much better, tho the county we are in (story) is not great on taxes either. If DH worked in Des Moines we would probably look into going South because its MUCH cheaper all around, enough so that it would outweigh the extra gas costs.
It is a mainly agricultural based state so you have to watch out for farmers...they do not look out for you..lol
If you want to chat, feel free to pm me, I can tell you more but ds is nursing and my eyes are crossing from watching my keys while I type..lol

Hugs
Jessica
organicmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not all small towns are unaccepting. We moved to a small town and happened to have some great neighbors and were immediately welcomed to town and have been very welcomed every since. Now, I will admit there are some very clannish people and if they were your first neighbors you probably wouldn't feel as welcomed.

Winter is definitely cold and long. I grew up in the midwest so diversity has never been great anywhere I've lived. So it's typical to me. I can't compare cost of living or taxes because again they are comparable to every where I've lived.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
cuppiecakecarriers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure if you have moved here yet or not but it may be worth checking into living in a surrounding town with cheaper taxes and smaller schools. There are alot of surrounding towns to des Moines. I live in Indianola which is only 12 miles outside Des Moines there are lots of options!! Let us know when you move!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it all sounds about right. I agree with moving outside of Des moines to save money although as far cities go its still pretty cheap. You can find homes to rent where I am for about $400 and places to buy for about $50,000-$100,000. Thats pretty good IMO lol.
ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote