Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is there any way to drive 3 days with cloth?

We are driving to visit my mom next week. We thought we were flying, but my mom is flying down here to help the kids and I drive down. It will be a 3 day drive, no washing machine, in the heat. We do have AC in the van though.

My mom, who used cloth exclusively for all 5 of us, wants me to use sposies for the car ride home due to the smell and the ease of sposies (just throwing them away) and bring my cloth for while I am down there. I don't know if I have ENOUGH dipes to last the whole trip home, but I don't want to do 3 days in sposies. I am worried about rashes and things like that, although I do understand the smell issue !

Has anyone ever travelled that far in cloth? What did you do for the smell? How many dipes did you need? Should I just suck it up and only use cloth on her when we stop for the night? My mom is not against the cloth dipes, she is just against the smell!! LOL!!

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there any way to drive 3 days with cloth?

We did drive from Michigan to Georgia (and then back again) all in cloth. I used a couple medium sized bummi bags (with a drawstring) to keep the dirties in, and then I threw in a citrus circle to help "disguise" the smell as well. We didn't have ANY problem with it at all! I just did laundry once we got to Georgia at my cousins house and then again before we left Georgia and then as soon as we got home! No problems. If you have enough dipes to cover for 3 days, I say go for it!
GL
Jeme
Jemgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did a 2 day drive in cloth last year. We went 2 days up to idaho, then 4-5 days in idaho, then 2 days home. I would do it again in a heart beat. So worth it. Just get a couple good wetbags to contain any smells. LOL
Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

I did! I bought those bigger ziploc bags, they really contained the smell.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas!! I only have one M Bummis wetbag, which might hold 2 days worth of dipes if I stuff and use PFs. Is it just as easy to travel with PFs as with AI2s or pockets? I know with the PFs and other dipes combined I would have enough for 3 days, but without the PFs I won't I need more dipes!!!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfitz5051
I did! I bought those bigger ziploc bags, they really contained the smell.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

My dd is allergic to sposies, so I have traveled in cloth a few times now. I love my prefolds for traveling. I have 3 dozen and want more . I use my prefolds first while traveling because I think they smell less than fitted do after a few days. I also do not like for my AIO's or pockets to sit in a wet bag for to long, worried about how it will affect the PUL. Get some of the big ziploc bags, they work great for smell. As long as you have enough diapers it is no harder to travel in CD.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i made like 40 pockets for my trip. I knkew I wasnt going ot be able to wash in a washer, so I figure if I ran out. i would be able to wash a pocket by hand and have it dry pretty quick. andi brought extra inserts. but I am ( or was) a prefold girl and I missed them. theya re so simple!!