Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: Who here lets their school age child have a little freedom?

We let our 10yo child walk to the store, library, school area, snack bar, and roam the neighborhoods alone.

BUT........we seriously live in the middle of nowhere. The only real crimes here are driving too fast (which is why the cows now get their own highway) and petty theft.

We have enough safety precautions in letting him have his freedom that we're comfortable with this set up. If he's going on an errand he has ___ minutes to get there and back. I know all the clerks he sees and what he does while he's there - we've already talked about this with them. If he's going for fun trips then he needs to take a buddy his age or older. I know where he is and who he's with at all times. He is NEVER "out of sight" - living in such a very small community everyone knows everyone, and EVERYONE knows my child. He's rather talkative. While he may be out of my line of sight, he's constantly running into people we know.

So yeah, he has the freedom we had as kids because we had the opportunity to give it to him. I'm not sure what it will be like when we move so I'm glad he's had this year and a half to develop in a very safe environment.

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the responses. I am not interesed in debate, just wondering if there were other moms like me.

The store my dd goes to is in a small shopping center that is adjacent to our neighborhood- she goes about 6 houses down, through a gate and into the little center and the store is a Dollar General that is a few stores down. She takes my phone with our home# the last # so she can hit SEND twice and get us. She is a very very mature and responsible child. The people in our neighborhood and one of the stores she passes know her/us.

Yes, I have read that non-relative abductions have decreased slightly since the 70's. It is terribly scary yet very rare for a child to be snatched by a total stranger.

I honestly do not want to spend this thread defending myself and those mamas who choose not to let their school age children out of their site are, of course, entitled to do that.

Just thinking there has got to be a few other moms who care dearly for their children but see the benefits of a little freedom and let their kids out a bit.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

No, My children dont have that type of freedom.

I wish it were more like it was when I grew up, but then I lived in the country around family and was able to be more free so to speak.

I live in the city limits and while I live in a "good" neighborhood, I trust no one so its hard for me to let my children be free. DS and DD ride bikes and play with other children in the neighborhood within watching distance. No riding/playing off where I cant keep watch.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #14
Pauli
Registered Users

My Mood:

We allow our 8yo son to ride his bike around the block by himself, when he asks first. He plays on our block with friends without being watched too. Sometimes, I go to the store or somewhere for an hour or so and he gets to stay home if he does not want to come.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 8 1.2 yr old is getting some too. She is allowed to play outside by herself now. We live in a trailer park so as long as she stays in the yard where I can see her I dont care, also she is now allowed to walk from the bus stop or will be should I say. She has been wanting to big time, we live at the end of the park and the bus stops at the other end to pick up the kids and drop them off. So its not maybe 1.4 mile to walk. I used to drive her and pick her up but she wants to show me she can do it herself. Its not a huge park so Im not as scared as I used to be and everyone looks out for everyone thankfully.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My child will go nowhere alone until she is old enough to hold her own! I don't let my 17yr old sister go to the store down the road alone after dark!
WAYYYYY too many chances of some sicko picking them up!!!!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying4more View Post
My child will go nowhere alone until she is old enough to hold her own! I don't let my 17yr old sister go to the store down the road alone after dark!
WAYYYYY too many chances of some sicko picking them up!!!!
Shoot, I wouldnt even walk down the road to the store at night alone! No way!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
bama
Registered Users
seller

I totally believe "stranger danger" is largely a myth. If you research, child abductions and other violence against children HAS gone down since the 70's when most of us were kids. Only thing that has changed is media. The media hype has made people more paranoid about the few things that DO happen. Its sad. That and people generally don't mind their own business anymore. If I leave my child in my AIR conditioned car while I run in the gas station to pay, I SHOULD NOT have to worry about someone calling the cops. But I do. My kids are safe IMO, and its ridiculous that I should even have to worry about that. The world we live in is only as "BAD" as we make it.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
We let our 10yo child walk to the store, library, school area, snack bar, and roam the neighborhoods alone.

BUT........we seriously live in the middle of nowhere. The only real crimes here are driving too fast (which is why the cows now get their own highway) and petty theft.

We have enough safety precautions in letting him have his freedom that we're comfortable with this set up. If he's going on an errand he has ___ minutes to get there and back. I know all the clerks he sees and what he does while he's there - we've already talked about this with them. If he's going for fun trips then he needs to take a buddy his age or older. I know where he is and who he's with at all times. He is NEVER "out of sight" - living in such a very small community everyone knows everyone, and EVERYONE knows my child. He's rather talkative. While he may be out of my line of sight, he's constantly running into people we know.

So yeah, he has the freedom we had as kids because we had the opportunity to give it to him. I'm not sure what it will be like when we move so I'm glad he's had this year and a half to develop in a very safe environment.
This is how it was with us growing up. We lived in the middle of no where so my father allowed us to walk or ride bike where we wanted to. Up the road to a friends house or to the store. There wasnt much where I lived but we didnt have issues with being able to do things alone. Wish it was like that where I am, we dont live in a huge town but its big enough. The guy down the way allows his niece who is 9 to go any where she wants, half the time he doesnt even know where she is. Now that scares me.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #20
hellyaellen
Registered Users

our 2 pretty much have the run of the neighborhood but must check in w/ us reguarly. the 9yo is allowed to go by herself but the 4yo has to have his big sister with him to go out of the yard.
hellyaellen is offline   Reply With Quote