Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Production Lopsided?!

Has this happened to anyone else? My left breast produces three times more milk than my right and is at LEAST a full cup size bigger. I have tried everything to even them out. Pumping, etc and nothing has worked. Any ideas on something I can do to up production on the other side? I am trying to save milk and it is hard because of this.

SPanozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Production Lopsided?!

I always get more milk from the left side when I pump, maybe 1/2 oz. more.

My breasts were visibly lopsided for awhile, but I was reading The Nursing Mother's Companion, and the author suggests starting every feeding on the smaller breast (rather than alternating breasts), which will hopefully stimulate the smaller breast to produce more milk and even out with the larger one. My breasts evened out a lot after about 3 days.

Hope that helps!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

hi mama, mine are super lopsided too. but the left one was bigger before i even got PG, so i figured it would give more milk. i agree with what PP said to begin each feeding on the smaller side. i eventually gave up and will just remain lopsided!
Lisa, mama to Adrian (3/5/09) and Carmen (5/12/11)
Finally living my WAHM dream!
My Business | Earn Amazon gift cards! | Be my swag friend?
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Weird, I am heavier on the left as is completely normal....
Stacy Active Duty Air Force Medic and LPN (soon to be IDMT!) wife to Joshua (SAHD/full-time student) Mommy to angels Kaidyns Marianne and Nathaniel David (12/08/03-12/08/03), long awaited rainbow baby
Natalie Lauralei
(05/01/07), angels AJ (1/6/08@6weeks) and Jacey Levi(7/13/08@13weeks), surprise rainbow baby Judah Michael (7/30/09) EBF/pumping exclusively CDing
Mommy-Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yup. I get 2 1/2 oz. from the right and 1 1/2 from the left. The funny thing is it was the other side around when I nursed my ds. I may try feeding on the left at every feeding with dd for a little while to see if that helps. They don't look visibly different though.
Brenda (WAHM), wife to Stephen, Mom to Drew (1/04), Luke (6/05) and Samantha (1/09) who's allergy has turned me into a Vegan Mama
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Registered Users

Yup, same here. This is my third lo and I was tandem nursing when it really became evident. The kids started to really favor the right one and I couldn't even pump from that left. I gave up on pumping- I wanted to save/store but it wouldn't come out. Only if I self expressed would it come out. Eventually I gave up on that breast- it can produce but the DD's were really favoring the other. I have now solely nursed from one breast for at least a year w/out any troubles. Believe me it's always full!!!! So, I think you can be able to store and pump from one breast but continue to try to stimulate the other often. Drinking "Mother's Milk" tea seems to help w/ production also.
Electra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

agreed...start on the less full side. I got mine to even out this way...they are almost equal.
kitzmarj is offline   Reply With Quote