Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
ipumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O- more questions for mamas with lots of kiddos.

I need a grocery thread, too! I spend $800 a month for 6 and I never have enough money. And 3 of my kids are on wic. I'm doing something terribly wrong! I think we eat too much ice cream...

Advertisement

ipumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Sarahb44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahjennings View Post
How big are your houses?
How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 4/2
Do DC share bedrooms? YES, DS's do, b/c they want to
What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? Expedition (8) and F150 up to 6.
How much do you spend on groceries a month? For how many? $550 for 4 plus dog

I know some of these questions may be personal- don't answer what you don't feel comfortable with.

I'm trying to decide how many children we can reasonably handle and provide for.
We have 3, I would like many more, but DH says one more...we'll see

HOW ON EARTH do you all only spend 2 and 300? I think of groceries, I think food, TP, Papertowels, detergent, fabric softner, dog food, little other odds and ends. Or is food, well just FOOD alone? What do you eat?...ok wayyyyyyyyy off topic here, sorry

Sarahb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
mamabug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahb44 View Post
We have 3, I would like many more, but DH says one more...we'll see

HOW ON EARTH do you all only spend 2 and 300? I think of groceries, I think food, TP, Papertowels, detergent, fabric softner, dog food, little other odds and ends. Or is food, well just FOOD alone? What do you eat?...ok wayyyyyyyyy off topic here, sorry
Well, we raise our own beef, so I don't buy any meat. In the summer I have a large garden and I do a LOT of canning. I shop at Aldi, which I think helps a lot! I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning...lots cheaper than commercial cleaners and much safer, too! Can't think of anything else right now!
Loving wife to my best friend, Kevin, BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing, Non-vaxing, babyfood making, knitting, Christian SAHM to Randi 10/94 , Heaven 3/96 , Sheldon 7/98 , Peyton 5/00 and Little Kason born Sept 20, 2006!!
mamabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
gfarley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seven people on $200 a month? How do you do that? We definetly need a grocery thread. What is everyone's definition of groceries. Mine is anything you can buy at a typical grocery store.
gfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
amjbmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How big are your houses? we rent a duplex... probably about 1200sq ft
How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 3 bedrooms 1 full bath
Do DC share bedrooms? we only have one dd now so she has her own room (smallest) 2 middle ds's share a room although ds#2 still mostly cosleeps with dh and I and the new baby will be in our room for awhile
What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? dh has a Ford F150 for work (construction) its a single cab though...his next truck he wants seats in the back for the kids as they get older. I drive a Ford Windstar Sport that seats 7
How much do you spend on groceries a month?probably between 350-500 depending on sales For how many? 2 adults 3 kids (baby on the way but he won't be eating "food" for awhile
Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

The grocery thread would have to be "in the kitchen"- I've posted there and there isn't much action.
Do you all still think we should start one?

I would think I could write savings tips but I spend way more than these mamas that are feeding 7 or 8. Raising my own beef isn't a possibility and I suppose I could garden/can food but I already have so much to do! I certainly wouldn't have any time to be on DS!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #17
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

How big are your houses? 3,600 sf

How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 3 bedrooms/2 1/2 baths (unfinished basement for more bedrooms later)

Do DC share bedrooms? yes. 2 girls in one, 2 boys in the other

What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? Expedition and mini-van for now

How much do you spend on groceries a month? $4-500 For how many? 6 We eat super frugally
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #18
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How big are your houses? 1900 sq ft bu twhen we finish the basement it will be more
How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms
Do DC share bedrooms? 2 boys in 1 room, 1 girl in 1 room, 1 girl in another room and baby sleeps in my bed still. the 2 older girls will share a room when DD#2 moves out of her crib this summer on her 3rd birthday and the baby will go into the nursey.
What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? Dodge Durango
How much do you spend on groceries a month? For how many? I shop at Aldi alot and its 100-150 a week but that includes junk we dont need as well...lol there are 7 of us total

I know some of these questions may be personal- don't answer what you don't feel comfortable with.

I'm trying to decide how many children we can reasonably handle and provide for.

You learn to adapt your cooking and shopping around how many you have. I just got DD a pair of jeans brand new for $2. and after shes done the other 2 girls will wear them too. I do nto do alot of convenience foods I make big pots of soups, chili, chicken and dumpling. we eat alot od leg and thighs instead of chicken breast. I buy big things of reg instant oatmeal and not the flavor packs cause its cheaper. We add what we want to it. stuff like that. It is not that hard just takes some getting used to.
HTH
barbara

Last edited by Bluemoon; 03-24-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #19
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabug View Post
Well, we raise our own beef, so I don't buy any meat. In the summer I have a large garden and I do a LOT of canning. I shop at Aldi, which I think helps a lot! I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning...lots cheaper than commercial cleaners and much safer, too! Can't think of anything else right now!
I'd love to not have to buy meat! It's the most expensive thing on the grocery list!!!!

We also use vinegar and baking soda to clean with as it's sooooooooo cheap and much healthier for our family and the environment We have a small garden right now so nothing to can but would like to do that in the future to save a ton on groceries. We shop at Costco as it's cheaper to buy in bulk there than at the regular grocery store.
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #20
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarley View Post
Seven people on $200 a month? How do you do that? We definetly need a grocery thread. What is everyone's definition of groceries. Mine is anything you can buy at a typical grocery store.
yes I need to know this too...lol
I shop very frugal and cannot do that!!!
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote