Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Who here lets their school age child have a little freedom?

Nope. I completely understand that the chances of him being taken or anything bad happening to him are extremely rare, but I don't see the need to risk it. Why does he need to go somewhere alone? Or well, he's only 3 right now, lol. But even when he's 9. I can sit in the park and read while he plays. I do give him freedom, but I'm there in the background just in case. At 3, he's got the run of wherever he wants to go when we're out. I don't make him stay attached to me at the park, etc. But I do make sure I can see him at all times, and he knows to come right to me if I call him.

I just don't think the numbers matter a lick if your child is the one in a million. And the numbers have likely gone down because so many parents are neurotic about their kids safety now. I definitely think there is a line between being safe and being completely obnoxious about it. But I do prefer to err on the side of caution for my own child.

Tiffany, Mama to the incredible JM (3.25.06) , NC (7.28.10) and EH (9.23.13)
We don't vaccinate, we kept our sons intact, we use cloth diapers, we co-sleep, we extended RF, we breastfeed, but we watch too much tv and I totally dig plastic! Everyone has their issues, lol.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-19-2009 at 02:24 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

my almost 11 yo dd is allowed to visit friends in our neighborhood (a relatively small sub division) , but she has a cell phone and calls me when she gets there, She also walks to school (1/2 mile to her classroom door and in our neighborhood) but with friends. She walks home from school to with a group. Like I said, she has a cell and calls when she is on her way. my neighbor across the street has a 9 year old and a 5 year old and they (NEITHER) are even allowed to cross the street alone to come to our house. i think that is a little crazy, but just m opinion
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 AM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:

I admit that it does foster independence at an early age, but with the way things are today, I don't know. It really depends on your neighborhood. I used to live in a really tight knit community where we knew each other so I would be pretty confident if we raised my ds there. But we've moved and letting him out on his own is just not happening anymore.
Naturally for Her is the first company dedicated in providing the best organic and natural fertility management options like Lady-Comp and the Today Sponge FREE SHIPPING in the US! FREE 1 BOX of Natacare 100% Organic products in every purchase of Lady-Comp!
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #34
Registered Users

Just wanted to say that I understand not letting your kids out of your site, so I am not trying to say you are doing your kids a big disservice.

I do still think that it is beneficial to my dd to have a little freedom. By a little freedom, I mean I let her walk the 1/2 a block to a friends house- she calls me when she gets there and before she leaves to come home. She goes to the Dollar store near our house and usually takes the cell phone with her with our number programmed in so she can hit send twice and get us. Can you tell I struggle with letting her go/protecting her?

I also let he do little errands, like she will pay for the gas at the gas station or take my packages in to the PO with me parked right in front of the door (these things are partly due to the fact she has 3 siblings 3 and under, so dragging them all out to hand a 20 to the gas station clerk is a PITA, lol)

Anyway, I wish I could comfortably give my kids more freedom than I do!
Sara Wife to Bret , Mom to Kodi 9-10-00 , Owen 4-21-06 , Luke 8-21-07 , and our miracle baby, June 8-4-09
I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar...
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote