Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #161
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:
Re: WDYT? Is circumcision genital mutilation? graphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Jesus was Jewish. And Biblical Jewish circumcision was NOTHING like circumcision is today. In Biblical times, it was pretty much just a nick in the skin. Now, it is complete foreskin removel. Not even comparable.

AND, in the Bible, the disciples actually warn AGAINST circumcision, saying to beware of circumcisers as they only like taking pleasure in your flesh and that it is circumcision of the HEART and not the SKIN that matters to God.
My DS is circ'd and he still has 1/2 the forskin, they don't remove as much as they use to remove, they found that because they could not tell how large an adult male's erect penis would be by judging the baby's penis that removing all the foreskin could cause an abnormal curvature in the penis, so now they are (at least the dr who did DS's) doing a "loose" circ and not removing the entire foreskin. And my DS was about 3 months when they did his circ, and he didn't scream, the dr gave him a local numbing injection, put a ring & band on his penis, gave us a script for tylenol (which we didn't use) and we left.

That said, if we had another DS we would not circ him, we have had too many problems with DS's penis swelling when he gets bug bites (odd I know, but all the scar tissue on his body swells after ant or mosquito bites and the penis scar tissue is one that swells the worst).

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #162
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
You are correct, God does not command you to be circumcized. It is a personal preference for me. For Jews it is part of their religion. I'm not a Jew.

My DH has 2 friends who are not circ'ed and they regret not being. I have a friend who had to delay her son's circ'ing b/c he was a preemie and b/c of infection he had to have it done at age 7. WAY MORE painful for a 7 year old than a newborn who has undeveloped sensories.
OK... well anecdotal for anecdotal... I know several circed males (most of those I know are circed) that wish they weren't. This came up because my son is not (in case you're wondering how their penis integrity came up).

Also, my Uncle WAS circed at birth and it was botched... his healthy penis was damaged by the circ and they had to redo it when he was older... six to be exact. You're right, incredibly painful. And if they'd left it alone in the first place he could have been spared it.

Not to mention the fact that older children/adults can be put under general anesthesia and given stronger pain meds. A baby may not conciously remember it, but that does not make it less painful and sure doesn't mean it's not somewhere in their unconcious memory.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #163
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
OK... well anecdotal for anecdotal... I know several circed males (most of those I know are circed) that wish they weren't. This came up because my son is not (in case you're wondering how their penis integrity came up).
Yup, DS's dad is circ'd and he reeeeally wishes that he hadn't been. (As do I. )

Of course that's ancedotal too - but I'm just saying not everyone who is circ'd is happy that way.

Besides, I'd MUCH rather be unhappy with something I can get rid of than be unhappy about something I don't have and can't get back.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 03-25-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #164
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
I don't understand why people even insist on presenting the "I know someone who had to be circumcised at an older age" argument. It's been said, and I'll say it again....this does not just happen to a regular intact penis that is cared for properly (or left alone would be a better descrpition). 10 year old boys do not just need to be circumcised for no good reason at all. If your daughter got an infection or two, you wouldn't just take her to the doctor and get her labia hacked off.
Thank you Thank you Thank you... it's true. Girls get infections at a MUCH higher rate than boys and yet we not only don't cut off functioning parts of their anatomy BUT we'd be appalled if someone suggested it.

However we're living in a culture of people who think caring for an intact penis means more work (in actual fact it means no work since the day my son was born except cleaning like his fingers so far) and doctors who are looking for something to go wrong and think the solution to every problem is circing.

I don't get it. I had to have constant (and I do mean constant) throat infections until I was 12... right from birth... before my tonsils were removed, because they didn't want to have to do a procedure that was unnecessary... yet circs are done sometimes (I'm not saying it applies on this board) for just a simple infection... or just because the baby was born a boy.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #165
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Yup, DS's dad is circ'd and he reeeeally wishes that he hadn't been. (As do I. )

Of course that's ancedotal too - but I'm just saying not everyone who is circ'd is happy that way.

Besides, I'd MUCH rather be unhappy with something I can get rid of than be unhappy about something I don't have and can't get back.
My dh too