Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can someone help me understand this?

I conceived on day 27 of a what was then a 38 day cycle... does that mean that my luteal phase is 11 days? Have you found that that remains constant even if cycle lengths change?

Advertisement

*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone help me understand this?

11 days is on the short side, I think most DR’s will consider 10 or less to be a problem. How do you know you conceived on day 27? Cycles can change along with the luteal phase.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

No, not necessarily. Even though you conceived on CD27, there is no way to tell how long the cycle "should have" been. Cycle length, and luteal phase length for some women, can change and vary from cycle-to-cycle.

In my case, my cycle length changes from cycle-to-cycle, but my luteal phase has always been constant.
expecting someone new 11.14

Last edited by aerobebe1421; 10-24-2009 at 01:40 PM.
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know I conceived that day because of my husband having been out of town the other days around when I ovulated, so it was the only possible time. And my baby's growth lined up perfectly with that date.
I suppose it could be possible that the upcoming expected period could have been off and would have started later than on day 38 when I expected it... that's a thought too, but I'll never know.
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think I have heard that the luteal phase does not change even though the cycle days can. If you have a 28 day cycle and then a 32 day cycle for example, most woman would have the same length in luteal phase even if total cycle days changed.

I had tried charting but I think I could have been one of those women where charting did not help me understand my cycle. I promise you that my charts were CRAZY with no clear pattern yet I had been assured by 2 doctors and testing that I WAS ovulating. So I never knew what my luteal phase was because I couldn't tell for sure when I was ovulating......then after I went to the fertility doctor, he told me when it was and that was the information we used to do my IUI.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

i agree there's no way to necessarily tell an LP based on a cycle when you concieved. one's LP *shouldn't* change for a woman from cycle to cycle unless it's like a day difference. that said, my LPs have varied (based on temping and OPK use) from 7-15 days. this is *not* normal or condusive to ttc. i am recieving treatments for a Luteal Phase Defect. 11 days is in the range of potentially problematic from everything i've read. hth!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Average woman's luteal phase is 14 days long. Length of 12 days or under is potentially problematic for women trying to conceive.

Mine was 11 days long when I was TTC my DD and I was diagnosed with a LPD and given prescription progesterone from 2 days after ovulation until I was 14 weeks pregnant.

Now - my luteal phase is a bit shorter (I am lucky, if it's 10 days) and still, since we're TTC next month, I'll be given the same prescription of progesterone following my IUI.

Having said that - the luteal phase length is generally constant in a woman's cycle. The follicular phase (first half of cycle before ovulation) varies much more regularly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luteal_phase
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will agree that everything I have read says that the Luteal Phase shouldn't vary more than +/- 1 day from whatever your personal "standard" is. With the "standard" being different for every woman.

However. I have been charting for the past year, and my LP has varied anywhere from 11 days up to 15. So, apparently that just isn't true for everyone.