Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Anniew202
Registered Users
seller

using milk after freezing?

So I pumped a bunch of extra milk when DS was really little (it's like 3 months old) and it's been in the freezer. However then we learned that he has a dairy allergy and our pediatrician told me we couldn't use it. She told me not to throw it away and that we would be able to to slowly reintroduce it later but now she's changing her mind and saying he can't have it for another few months. It's been in the deep freezer for about a week and I'm just wondering if it's still okay to save or not.

How long to people leave it in the freezer? the deep freezer?

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
SophiaLM
Registered Users
seller

Re: using milk after freezing?

Hi Mama. Most sites I've read say that it's good in a freezer (Like above a refridgerator) for 2-3 months, if opened frequently. In a deep freezer for as long as a year.

I was wrong. Here's a link that says freezer is 3-6 months

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

I am just now using May milk (that has been in my seperate milk deep freezer) for my son.

I would say keep it. When your ped says you can use it, thaw it. Smell it. If nothing else, taste it. If it taste/smells fine, I would use it.

(If nothing else, I would donate it, not throw it away. There are a lot of mamas that would love to have it. www.milkshare.com You'd probably be able to find one local to you.)

Last edited by SophiaLM; 10-24-2009 at 12:40 PM.
SophiaLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Carolina Kel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaLM View Post
(If nothing else, I would donate it, not throw it away. There are a lot of mamas that would love to have it. www.milkshare.com You'd probably be able to find one local to you.)
As a milkshare donor, I can totally recommend being a donor. It's an amazing thing to be able to help out another family in need.

In regards to the milk in the deep freeze, some mamas have kept breasticles in there for up to a year and either donate or start using it at the 11th month mark.
Be your friend's true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter with laughter.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It should be good in a deep freeze for 6 months. If you don't have a deep freeze or think you don't want to keep it, I would agree with the above posts and say DONATE!!!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Tinabel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it is definitely good for a long time in the deep freezer, longer than in a regular above refrigerated freezer or side-by-side freezer. Here's a link from the La Leche League website on storing milk-
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html
I also found this that might be helpful with your question about your baby being lactose intolerant. I didn't think babies could be allergic to their mother's millk and was kinda surprised when you said this. I'm not sure exactly why your doctor says your baby is allergic to the milk(since you didn't specify) but thought this might be helpful. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html