Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Mom2Mia
Registered Users

Re: OCD kids

Hi there! My middle girl has...Tourette's, OCD, ADHD, Sensory Integration dysfunction and Aspergers.....whew....what a mouthful...

That being said...your example does seem more like normal toddler behavior. For Em - she must have her socks just right or she can't function - it's a disaster - and she may try getting them right 10 times before it's ok and we can move on.

She is a compulsive toucher and smeller. She MUST touch and smell everything. taking her into a store is a realy experience...it takes forever...
She touches everything - objects, people, clothes, etc. She smells everything - before she will take anything or eat anything it must be smelled. If it's not good to her it's out. No if's and's or but's.

She is a picker - scabs - owies never heal because she can't stop picking at them. She will also pull her toenails off. (ew - ouch!)

There's a lot more but then it's the fine line between her disorders....LOL

We first starting taking Emma to Dr's about 2 years ago - she was 5. She is now 7 and we are still seeing Dr's -trying to get everything diagnosed and a gameplan together - it's a fluid process and I don't think we'll ever be done. Although - signs of the sensory integration and Aspergers were evident at about 18 months...looking back and being honest with myself...

OCD kids have serious compulsions to do things - they can't function without accomplishing them. Like - touch the doorknob 5 times before turning it...say a word 10 times before putting on your shirt....wash your hands over and over...stuff like that.

Does that make sense? Hope that helps at least clarify things a little. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. We're getting pretty good experience here at our house!

Advertisement

Mom2Mia is offline   Reply With Quote