Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions about Young Living Essential Oils, and other Essential Oils

I am loving this. I really really like the EOU site! The prices are EXCELLENT! I did order 1 Aromatherapy book from Amazon already and have made myself wait until that is here before buying any oils, although I already own lavender, TTO, peppermint, geranium, and Tangerine. LOL. I have been using peppermint in our regular baby butter massage oil for the past two days for congestion and it has done WONDERS.

I am so glad you are sharing. Thieves and Eucalyptus are things I can't wait to try!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

A little warning on eucalyptus. You should NOT use EO with menthol or campher (including eucalyptus, thyme, peppermint) for babies and small children, as it can CAUSE breathing difficulty. Methol causes a cooling sensation, giving the impression of a cleared airway but it does not actually help clear the sinuses. In fact, it causes more mucus to be produced to deal with the irritation. From www.nlm.nih.gov:
Children (younger than 18 years)
Severe side effects have been reported in children after small doses of eucalyptus have been taken by mouth or applied to the skin. Eucalyptus is not recommended for use by infants and young children, especially near the face and nose

More info
contraindications

This was all the info I could find quickly in English. In Germany, aromatherapy is pretty mainstream, so a lot of the parenting mags tell you to avoid certain essential oils with young children. I only recently learned about the eucalyptus problem, so I wanted to let you know to be careful. I have it as part of a blend I made imitating the thieves oil, as a DIY hand sanitizer. In the future, I won't be adding eucalyptus to the blend, as I do use the sanitizer on the kids.

Last edited by Ami in Deutschland; 10-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Ami in Deutschland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

WOW! I did NOT know that and thank you so much for sharing!!! I saw a recommendation for this book "Aromatherapy for Mother and Baby" By Allison England, R.N. That specifically targets safe use of oils with children/babies. I think that's neat and might be something I need to get!

I did read this

"Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Due to the known side effects of eucalyptus, and the unknown effects during pregnancy or breastfeeding, eucalyptus should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women. " and wondered if that just means orally (although you aren't supposed to take it orally.... but I would be surprised if just breathing in eucalyptus diffused in a room would transfer into breastmilk?)

I also read this:

"Eucalyptus Smithi is the only Eucalyptus essential oil that should be used on children. Eucalyptus Globulus which is the most common is usually rectified and is not suitable for children. A top note in aromatherapy, this oil is said to be helpful for chest infections, to facilitate breathing. It is also an effective analgesic. Aslo suitable for the elderly.

At the first sign of a stuffy nose place 1 drop of Eucalyptus on the corner of your pillow. This can sometimes even stop a cold from coming on. For young children use Eucalyptus Smithi a much safer oil.

For colds and coughs.Using essential oils with babies and children. Under the bed place a bowl of boiling water to which you have added 3 drops of Eucalyptus Oil. Use Eucalyptus Smithi which is safer for children. The steam will rise releasing the molecules into the room. According to the book do not use Eucalyptus on babies younger than 2 months. From The Complete Book of Essential Oil and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood.

When using essential oils in the bath for children be sure to dilute in a carrier oil like Sweet Almond Oil or whole milk.Use 1/2 the usual adult dosage. (6-8 drops is an adult dose) Lavender and Chamomile are ideal. "

and wondered if this is true?!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey guys, wanted to share my friend's recommendation:
"The best reference book is the Essential Oil Desk Reference 4th Edition. You might be able to find it on Amazon. Brand new they are $49.95.. If you can't find one you can order it through www.abundanthealth4u.com "

HTH
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
dancersummer81
Registered Users

I, too, know people who sell YLEO and I get what you're saying. An acquaintance once gave a very convincing presentation on the evils of ALL other EO's. After talking with some veteran EO users and reading a few things, I have decided that while YL may have great quality oils and may be a good company, there are other companies that provide comparable products for a much lower price. In fact, MANY companies have "therapeutic" grade ~ something a lot of YL people seem to think is exclusive of them.
I recently purchased Four X from here: http://www.thesecretsofeden.com/
It's the equivalent of Thieves, but they can't call it that. Some of their opinions are weird, but I don't really care what they think...if the product works
AND it's affordable, great!
Just trust your gut and good luck!
dancersummer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Essential Oil Desk Reference was mentioned to me also. I was told it was $49, but when I checked Amazon, it was $119+! Gasp! LOL. Thanks for your link, that is a HUGE Help.

I did actually sign up as a YL Distributor. Not because I want to sell or promote their products, but because if you are a distributor, you get distributor pricing, which is why friends of mine did the same. (You only have to order 50PV (point value) a year to get that price, which is a piece of cake. I have been using peppermint and lavender in my home for a couple of years, and I am impressed with the potency and quality of the YL oils compared to what I have purchased at my local health foods store. But the cost is high, even at distributor level. I just recently ordered a diffuser (when you sign up for distributing, you get a coupon for half off the DISTRIBUTOR price of one diffuser, that's another bonus) and I also ordered some 5ML Bottles (small) of their winter essentials (Thieves, Valor, and Purification) and am excited to get them and see what I think. However, I am not decided yet, and may be ordering therapeutic quality oils from other sources as well. I am so far enjoying what I have and have been able to use peppermint topically for my back and neck aches and have been able to get by without ibuprofen or chiropractic visits (ca-ching!$) for several weeks now. I have yet to use any on the kids, because I want to get the desk reference and be sure I am reading correct usage information from a source that is NOT Biased by young living.... although I have seen warnings and information about use on children in their catalog, which I was impressed with.

But I do agree that I don't have to wholeheartedly agree with their opinions if their product works for me.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #17
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use EO and YLEO. We have used them for everything. I used them when I had my son and they really helped. I use a Lavender and Chamomile fo post nasal drip. I use oils on my kids and animals. We used oils in the hospital on DS, the nurses kept finding reasons to come into the room. We use the oils for everything. We have lived in WY since 2001 and no one in our house has been on antibotics we just use the oils. My kids have not had any medications, no vac either. They are very healthy, yes we do get the cold every now and then but that is normal. There are so many things that we use the oils for I can not list them all.
We also use alot of the YL products and have had no issues.
My Mom has used YLEO and they have gotten rid of the crud that she always gets. She has also gotten health food store oils and they have not helped her.
In my opinion you have to try and see what works for you.
And remember quality is expensive

Last edited by wyoming butterfly; 10-28-2009 at 12:30 AM.
wyoming butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #18
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, I agree that quality is expensive!

Do you think that your "un-use" of antibiotics is because you use oils preventatively, or because you use them at the first sign of something and that stops you from needing antibiotics? I am still unsure what to use for what?! LOL.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed81 View Post
yes, I agree that quality is expensive!

Do you think that your "un-use" of antibiotics is because you use oils preventatively, or because you use them at the first sign of something and that stops you from needing antibiotics? I am still unsure what to use for what?! LOL.
I think it is both. We have a desk refrence and we refer to that on what to use. There is sometimes you need to try a few diffrent things to see what works. We have alot of oils but I still tend to try the cheaper ones first. If you have questions about specific things let me know and I will tell you what our experiences have been.
I use there shampoo to wash my diapers and it works great. Also love their tender tush(diaper rash cream).
Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
afotherby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has anyone ever tried Doterra EO? I have used a few and really liked them. They're a little cheaper than YL, and their company seems like they are more about promoting wellness and health compared to YL who, IMO, seems to think that their oils will cure anything. When my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, someone who sells YL (an old friend) tried to tell me that a certain blend of oils would help draw it out of her... I am all for natural healing, but this mentality that the use of an EO would cure cancer just isn't my cup of tea.
ANYWAY, I love Doterra lavender! I use it all the time. Also purchased a grapefruit to add to my natural cleaning supplies and it's wonderful!
afotherby is offline   Reply With Quote