Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is pumping for only a few min better than not at all?

I usually pump around 10pm, 3am, 9am as my overnight schedule. Lately though my LO has been having trouble sleeping at night which leaves me completely exhausted. He'll be 8 weeks a week from today so I still have another month or so to really establish my supply so I've been pumping every 2-3 hours, 6-7 times per day. Sometimes it's been really hard to do that 3am session though and I'll admit I have skipped it a few times. Last night I was thisclose to skipping it but I decided 10 minutes pumping is better than skipping it. Is that right though? Will pumping only a few minutes (I usually pump for 30 at least) do more harm than good? I don't plan on making this a habit, but on those kind of nights I'd much rather just pump a little than not at all. Thanks!

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is pumping for only a few min better than not at all?

I would say some is better than nothing. If you are only pumping for 10 minutes, make those minutes count. Massage, compress, etc... I understand about the wanting to skip, but that is a very long stretch between if you do.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes!! Pumping any at all is better than skipping
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
Carolina Kel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is there any way that you could maybe move the last pump later and the first pump sooner? Like a pump at 11PM and the first at 5AM? That way you get 6 hours of sleep at least, and then can pump again at 9AM?

I usually do my last session at 11PM, and the first one when DH gets up for work at 5AM. He'll feed DS while I pump so that way I can just go back to bed with DS after the tanks are drained.
Be your friend's true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter with laughter.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, the more nip stimulation the better. Even if you can only get in the 10 mins.

Way to go with all that overnight pumping! That's dedication!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kel View Post
Is there any way that you could maybe move the last pump later and the first pump sooner? Like a pump at 11PM and the first at 5AM? That way you get 6 hours of sleep at least, and then can pump again at 9AM?

I usually do my last session at 11PM, and the first one when DH gets up for work at 5AM. He'll feed DS while I pump so that way I can just go back to bed with DS after the tanks are drained.
I do like that idea, and it would have worked perfectly last night. Baby boy actually slept through the night! Well, sort of lol. He fell asleep sometime around 10:00-10:30ish, and started lightly fussing around 3:30ish. I gave him his paci and he went right back to sleep and slept until 5:30ish. Woo! Of course, I pumped at 3:30am like usual since I was semi awake already anyway.

I normally pump around 3 because that's when he usually gets up at night. lately I've been pumping around 10:30-11:00 since my session before that has been around 8:00-8:30ish. Very rarely does he get up around 5am, so if I chose to pump at 11 and 5 I'd have to be up at 3 anyways in addition to the 5am. Does that make sense?

Oh, and DS actually nursed for 5 minutes straight last night!! I'm not sure if he got much of anything but he stayed on and sucked without a fight! I'm going to the WIC offices today and I'm gonna see if I can meet with a Lactation Consultant there. Can a LC write prescriptions?

Thanks for the advice mamas!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote