Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:
How late of a delay in fever after vaccines is normal?

My son received his last doses of Hib and Prevnar on Wednesday at his one year check. It was his fourth dose of each and never had a fever or any swelling with any of them.

When we were in the clinic, there were MANY sick people in there, coughing, etc. I did my best to stay isolated.

Two days later, my son is now developing a fever. He wasn't warm this morning when I got him up, but just now I noticed he was feeling warm and his temp was 99.7

I am wondering if this is a delayed fever from the shots...but 2 whole days later? and when he's never had one any other time? Also, his injection site is not swollen or red in the least.

If this is h1n1, we need to know asap, because my husband is on immuno-suppressive treatments and is very ill. His Dr told us that if he or anyone in the family displays symptoms of influenza, my husband needs to go on Tammiflu ASAP. Of course, the clinic that is closest to us where we could pick up Tammiflu (which is 35 minutes away) closes today at 5 and won't be open until Monday. Then we have to drive an entire hour to get some.

I guess the main question I am looking for is: What's the longest time lapse after vaccination did your child first develop a fever? And did they ever develop a fever on the last dose of something they've had before and never had a reaction before?

TIA.

Advertisement

~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How late of a delay in fever after vaccines is normal?

With only a temp of 99.7, my guess is from the shots. 2 days isn't really a delayed reaction at all. Vaccine reactions are common up to 2 weeks later and can take even longer. Plus, the more doses a child has, the more reactive they are. So it's far more likely to have a reaction on the last dose than the first. If it was the flu (either one) the fever would almost certainly be much MUCH higher. My son ran a 104.6 fever with the flu last year.

Honestly, at our home, we wouldn't even consider 99.7 a "fever." I mean, obviously his temp is raised, but we wouldn't worry at all. I mean, that's small enough to be teething or something, kwim? If it keeps rising, then it could be the flu. But atm, that wouldn't be what I'd jump to thinking.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-30-2009 at 01:32 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:

thanks for the input. I know that for kids it generally isn't a "fever" until 101.3.
However, I'm not really one to trust thermometer readings so much...I go more by how the skin feels to the touch because I touch and snuggle with him every day, and I can often detect a fever starting right away because I am so in tune with his normal temp. And he is just feeling so much hotter than usual.
Also, his face is pretty red and flushed.

He actually just woke up from a nap now, and the thermometer reading is now at 100.0

He's also making some weird grunting and moaning sounds...Like he's really constipated and trying to push a BM out? Which I know is not the case because he had a very large and loose BM earlier today.

I know that reactions can happen several weeks after a shot...but I guess I just assumed that a fever would be more of an immediate reaction.

Thanks again for the input. I guess I'm just being overly paranoid because of the urgency of my husband needing antivirals asap. (a few weeks ago my husband was in the ICU for a week and almost died from a bacterial infection resulting from his chemo so I'm probably still on edge from that)

Last edited by ~Ryleigh's_Momma~; 10-30-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd just watch the fever, but a flu fever would likely rise and be over 102 pretty fast. They say not everyone runs fevers, but IRL I've never known anyone not to and not for it to be really high.

If it's a huge deal for your family, I'd just take him to the Ped or after hours and ask them to do a flu test. Though, that's pretty traumatic if you're not sure. I mean, it's not long term, but it's pretty horrible for the kid when it happens.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:

I will just keep watching the fever and if any symptoms start to crop up. I definitely don't want to do the swab. I once cared for a patient who we later found out to have TB, and I had to have a TB swab. Which from what I understand is the same way they do the swine swab (in regards to how far back they go) and it was AWFUL.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

ITA with Tiffany 100 isnt really a fever in our house either. I would give Vit C and a good probiotic plenty of fluids and rest. It really could be anything and prob less likly to he H1N1
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote