Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
ladybug6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I can't get it all out!

The past few days it seem that no matter how long I pump and what else I do, I am always full. I try compression, massage and warm compresses, but I can't get it all out. The milk stops flowing and I am still engorged!

Background:
Pumping for twins who are lazy nursers and pumped for a year with DD. Have a PIS and double pump. Taking Fenugreek and eating oatmeal.

Any suggestions??

Advertisement

Expecting #4 4/4/2011
ladybug6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I can't get it all out!

i'm sure you've tried this already, but maybe try increasing the suction on your pump? gravity works as well, try leaning over as you pump and while you're doing compressions. i would also call an LC ASAP, since engorgement can lead to mastitis. i'm not an EPer, but i often get lumps that my pump just doesn't get out, only my LO can.

another thing that has worked on occasion, is moving the pump horn around on the nipple, so that it acts like an LO and "pulls" from a different part of the breast. Try taking at least a 15-minute shower right before pumping. i hope you get some results!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
i'm sure you've tried this already, but maybe try increasing the suction on your pump? gravity works as well, try leaning over as you pump and while you're doing compressions. i would also call an LC ASAP, since engorgement can lead to mastitis. i'm not an EPer, but i often get lumps that my pump just doesn't get out, only my LO can.

another thing that has worked on occasion, is moving the pump horn around on the nipple, so that it acts like an LO and "pulls" from a different part of the breast. Try taking at least a 15-minute shower right before pumping. i hope you get some results!
Ditto on the moving the horn around. I'll put it a bit higher, a little to the left, etc, etc and I'll get another let down usually from doing so. I don't think I've ever been able to fully empty while pumping, but this helps get as much as possible out, for me at least. Good luck mama, and I agree contact a LC soon!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the same problem....only Luke doesn't nurse like at all...will I constantly be in pain?

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You sound like you aren't getting a let down.

I'm about to get graphic Nipple stimulation works well for me! After the milk stops, I take off the horns and do some more massages, and 'tweak' my nipples Sometimes I squirt a little to get things going again. Then I put the horns back on on the fast cycle low suction until the milks starts flowing again. It works about 80% of the time.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
horsewildfire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From reading your post if that happened to me and I would not empty like I was suposto I would get engorged and I would have to take ibuprofen for swelling because I would get so engorged and eventually 3 doses later and almost a day later it all came out and a whole lot. But it would start where I did not get the milk out completely and I would get less and less at each pumping until I was very engorged. Let me tell you it is not fun.
horsewildfire is offline   Reply With Quote