Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
bags or bottles if you pump alot

i started using the lansinoh bags...i thought i liked them but when I got the 2.5 oz medela bottles and pumped right into them and fed straight from the bottle...then I liked that ALOT better. But the flow was too fast even with a slow flow nipple. And now he's eating more so I'm pumping into 5 oz bottles and store in those in 3-4 oz increments (do 4 most of the time, or combine a few sessions to make 4)...while not feeding directly in those now because I found the gerber nuk bottle that he feeds well from right now I'm debating whether or not to go back to the bags.

Only thing is I like that the bottles even though i don't feed from them now, they sit straight up and I can read the 4 oz better, and if I combine 2 pumping sessions, its easier to add it to bottle and it be level. Does that make sense? With the bag if its laying flat its kind of weird to add to it. Its all about symetry. LOL I was trying to think along the terms of saving space. We do have an upright freezer but it's outside and there's no way in hades I'm going to put my milk outside..especially when we keep it unlocked sometimes.

Can you freeze in the avent bottles? I have some of those spare too

Is there a bag system that works well? Or that sits up 'straight'?
Daycare center would be involved as well with handling of milk

Advertisement

Last edited by Weezy6703; 11-03-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: bags or bottles if you pump alot

i think i'm reading you right- are you adding fresh milk to already frozen milk? that's not recommended, actually.

and i really like the bags best for freezing since they freeze in nice flat rectangles that thaw quicker and more evenly!

i keep a soft-sided insulated lunchbox type cooler in the freezer and stack my frozen milk in one of those. it provides padding to make sure the bags don't get punctured and keeps them in a neat stack for me making it easier to keep the dates in order.

TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
i think i'm reading you right- are you adding fresh milk to already frozen milk? that's not recommended, actually.

and i really like the bags best for freezing since they freeze in nice flat rectangles that thaw quicker and more evenly!

i keep a soft-sided insulated lunchbox type cooler in the freezer and stack my frozen milk in one of those. it provides padding to make sure the bags don't get punctured and keeps them in a neat stack for me making it easier to keep the dates in order.
you are reading me right. all the bf'ing sites i checked said it was okay to add to frozen milk as long as the fresh milk is cooled first and you arent adding more fresh milk than what you have frozen. (so that you arent putting warm onto cold). i dont do it frequently but every now and then i do do it

your set up sounds interesting

ETA...I do like the bags with being able to write the date. What bottles I have stored for next week don't have dates on them (b/c of 'bottles' and I don't have a labeling system for those) I just know I pumped them this week

Last edited by Weezy6703; 11-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
greeniebeanie
Registered Users
seller

I also like the bags for freezing, but i don't ususally pump right into them. I pump into the bottles, put them in the fridge, add to them throughout the day until I get the increments that I want, pour them into a bag, and freeze them.

I find it hard to tell how much milk is actually in the bag if I pump right into it.
greeniebeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally can't stand the bags. They leak, all the time. I get a little puncture in one and then lose milk in the thawing process. I've resorted to buying a plastic leak-proof container to thaw the bag of milk in so that it won't be lost - I just pour the "lost" milk from the container into the bottle. I do get some milk in bags from donors, but thankfully now I have a donor who is pumping into my stockpile of Medela bottles. I personally pump into either Medela bottles (80mL or the larger 5oz ones) or Evenflo glass bottles. I have enough of them that it isn't an issue, and I don't pump enough for a huge freezer stockpile. If you are pumping for daycare, I would suggest pumping into bottles rather than bags and just cycle through them.

BTW, I add fresh to frozen all the time, just make sure you aren't adding more fresh that you have frozen. I did that with DS1 and used the milk 2 years later for DS2, it was on the freezer door not deep frozen and it thawed just fine!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
jchammonds
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like both. I've never had a Medela, Dr. Brown's or Lansinoh bag leak. I love how you can freeze the bags flat and then they don't take up much space and they thaw really fast. But, I feel really wasteful when I'm throwing away all of those plastic bags, so I like that the bottles are reuseable.

When I was building my freezer stash, I used the 44 bottles I had and then went to bags. Now that I'm working and my stash isn't growing, just rotating, I'm reusing the bottles.

I pump into the 5 oz bottles and then transfer to storage, if needed. I try to use fresh milk as much as possible and supplement as necessary with the freezer stash.

Last edited by jchammonds; 11-10-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: add info
jchammonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniebeanie View Post
I also like the bags for freezing, but i don't ususally pump right into them. I pump into the bottles, put them in the fridge, add to them throughout the day until I get the increments that I want, pour them into a bag, and freeze them.

I find it hard to tell how much milk is actually in the bag if I pump right into it.
Ditto

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniebeanie View Post

i also keep my frozen milk in a soft-sided cooler in my freezer, which helps keep it away from other food and organized.

ETA; the only time i pump directly into the bags is when i'm traveling. i've found that it's easier to do that to save space/etc, then worrying about pumping into bottles and then bagging it.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote