Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quick! Can I eat Mexican white cheese dip?

I think it's called con queso dip...it's served at Mexican restaurants and I'm craving it SO bad! I remember someone telling me I couldn't eat it when pregnant with dd because it was unpasteurized. But, I don't know if it's really unpasteurized. Does anyone know how bad this dip really is? I'm craving it and dh will be home in an hour and might just "treat" me to it if I beg enough But, I don't want to hurt my little monkey!

Advertisement

Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: Quick! Can I eat Mexican white cheese dip?

Do they serve it hot? If it were me I would have zero problem with it, particularly if it's served warm.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think it's a problem. I would eat it. Most mexican cheeses would be pasteurized I think.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an unpasteurized cheese anywhere in the US....unless you went to like a gormet cheese shop or something.

Most of the soft cheeses that are traditionally not pasteurized in other countries are pasteurized here. I think its an FDA thing.

I eat Mexican all the time! We joke that this baby will come out looking like a burrito
Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it's served hot. I called the place and they couldn't understand what I was asking...they just said it was "melting cheese." I think they thought I was trying to steal their recipe, lol! I'm gonna go for it. I want it BAD.
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Old 11-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I want some too!

Oh, and according to my doc, as long as its in moderation, I can eat prohibited foods. And if you don't eat it every day, its in moderation.

With pregnancy #1 I got some strange 'forbidden' cravings, including hot dogs go figure. I figured if i wasn't eating hot dogs often enough to consider it part of my regular diet, I was in the clear. And she turned out fine, though the sodium on the hot dogs did give me cankles, or maybe it was from being 34 weeks pregnant and working 50 hours a week.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootyGold View Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to find an unpasteurized cheese anywhere in the US....unless you went to like a gormet cheese shop or something.

Most of the soft cheeses that are traditionally not pasteurized in other countries are pasteurized here. I think its an FDA thing.

I eat Mexican all the time! We joke that this baby will come out looking like a burrito

Everything she said. Even the burrito part. Except mine will be a taco.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
I want some too!

Oh, and according to my doc, as long as its in moderation, I can eat prohibited foods. And if you don't eat it every day, its in moderation.

With pregnancy #1 I got some strange 'forbidden' cravings, including hot dogs go figure. I figured if i wasn't eating hot dogs often enough to consider it part of my regular diet, I was in the clear. And she turned out fine, though the sodium on the hot dogs did give me cankles, or maybe it was from being 34 weeks pregnant and working 50 hours a week.

Yeah, I craved (last time and this time) Krystal chili pups...the night before I found out I was pregnant, I ate a DOZEN of them! I have eaten them a few times this pregnancy, but it's definitely in moderation and I make sure they're really hot.

My dad had a girlfriend who smoked crack (literally) until she was 5 months pregnant. Do I advocate that at ALL? NO WAY! But, her baby is perfectly fine, so I'm guessing a couple hot dogs and some cheese dip *probably* won't hurt, right?

Last edited by amberpayne27; 11-13-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
mommy2five&counting
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry about it. It is served hot and is probably made with pasteurized milk. The making of the cheese itself does not bring it up to the proper temp to kill off bacteria but it isn't being made with raw milk so it doesn't matter.

I would not drink raw milk from a commercial source but we do drink unpasteurized milk from our own cows and I have for my past 3 pregnancies. I would also drink it from a few other small farmers that I know because I know what their milking and feeding practices are. Listeriosis (which is what pregnant women should be concerned about and why unpasteurized dairy products are warned against) is common in big dairies and is rarely seen in a family cow type situation. It is usually the result of feeding cows rotten silage. Family type cow situations where the cows are able to eat a diet predominately of grass and hay are not going to be susceptible to the kinds of bacteria problems seen in large farm operations, including e-coli infections.
We have a farm, and a blog that I don't keep up with as regular as I should : www.missourirawmilk.com
mommy2five&counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just to let you know....now you have ME craving white cheese dip and I'm not happy because we're flooded in. Can't go anywhere to get aforementioned cheese dip.

I'll be hunting you down missy.