Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

X Posted - question about child spacing and BF

I also posted this in the BF forum but obviously not many mamas in there that have weaned

I have no plans on weaning ds (13 months) any time soon, but we are TTC #2 and I don't plan on tandem nursing. But lately I've begun to feel guilty and thinking maybe we should hold off for a while so DS can wean when he wants to instead of being forced off the boob. So I have some ?'s!

- For those who let their children decide when to wean, what age did they decide they didn't want to nurse anymore? And was it a sudden end?

- For those who got pregnant while nursing, did your child wean themselves during or after your pregnancy?

- If you struggled with a low supply with your first child, were you able to tandem nurse?

- If your child was fully weaned before the next one arrived, did they ask to start nursing again?

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Re: X Posted - question about child spacing and BF

I got pregnant when he was 10-11months. I had to wean him at 15months, 6 months preg. because of medical issues on my side. He would occassionaly ask to nurse before bed and I would let him, but my milk was gone. Once Coen came he asked to nurse 2-3 times and went to nurse but than said no, for baby and walked off. Sometimes he still asks but he just wants to know he can have what the baby has, he doesn't really have interest in nursing.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Re: X Posted - question about child spacing and BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddle1 View Post
I also posted this in the BF forum but obviously not many mamas in there that have weaned

I have no plans on weaning ds (13 months) any time soon, but we are TTC #2 and I don't plan on tandem nursing. But lately I've begun to feel guilty and thinking maybe we should hold off for a while so DS can wean when he wants to instead of being forced off the boob. So I have some ?'s!

- For those who let their children decide when to wean, what age did they decide they didn't want to nurse anymore? And was it a sudden end? My oldest was almost 4! It was not a sudden end at all but not totally happy b/c honestly I was frustrated with nursing and ready to be done way before she was. My 2nd was only 10 mos old and I was 3 mos preggo when he just refused to nurse- but he was always a no-nonsense nurser and never used the breast for comfort. My 3rd weaned somewhat suddenly at 13 mos old b/c I had ovarian cysts and was in a lot of pain and dh was taking care of him so much that he just kinda forgot about it- he also was not much of a comfort nurser plus we struggled with thrush the entire 13 mos so nursing him was usually somewhere b/w uncomfortable and excruciating, lol.

- For those who got pregnant while nursing, did your child wean themselves during or after your pregnancy? During, when I was about 3-4 mos- but I did not try to keep him nursing a lot- only when he dropped to 2-3x a day did I try harder to keep him nursing and then it was too late. And, I think he would have weaned around 12 mos anyway, pregnant or not.
- If you struggled with a low supply with your first child, were you able to tandem nurse? N/A

- If your child was fully weaned before the next one arrived, did they ask to start nursing again?
Nope. #1 was 16 mos old when #2 was born and had been weaned for 6 mos and never showed any interest in nursing. #3 weaned 1-2 mos before I got preggo and was almost 2 when dd was born. Both boys actually tried nursing stuffed animals and my 3 yr old asked if he could nurse his baby sister. I think my 3 yr old asked if he could nurse when dd was born 3 mos ago but he just kind of laughed and thought it was a funny idea and I just told him nursing was for baby June and that was it.