Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Registered Users
EBF Baby & constipation

So DS is 110% EBF.... but I changed his dipe yesterday - he pooped 3 times (totally out of character for him) & it was all very thick & peanut buttery & even thincker than that a couple times. Anyone know if a EBF baby can be constipated & what I can do? Am I eating too much iron or something? TIA

Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: EBF Baby & constipation

True constipation is when a baby poops hard little pellets and goes several days between bowel movements, I wouldn't worry, his system just might be starting to process things differently.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Not sure how old he is but it is normal for their digestive patterns to change over time. It is very rare for a breastfed baby to get does happen, but it is very rare. It is normal for breast babies to go several days, even a couple of weeks between poops because there is so little waste to breastmilk. Like the PP said, as long as the poop is not hard little pellets, it's not truly constipation. If your baby doesn't seem uncomfortable, then chances are there's no problem at all. Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
I grow people

My dd does this. Sometimes she won't poop for a few days, and then it's kinda thick and she goes three times. I don't think it's constipation though.
And when she turned 6 months old, her digestive system seemed to change, and the poop got thicker even though she was still EBF. HTH
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote